lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-18-2019, 10:23 AM   #1
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Default 1998 ez go marathon 2pg

Hey guys!

Recently bought this ez go marathon 2pg and have done pretty much everything to it.

Some things being top end rebuild, both crank seals, new s/g, new battery, solenoid, voltage regulator, spark plugs, carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, new lines, removed old oil pump and just manually mix gas and oil now. Probably a couple more things I’m not thinking of currently.

When I drive on flat ground it seems to be driving just how it should..somewhere between 15-20mph with the governor removed. Maybe a little over 20mph going down hill. My question is..when going up hill..it really seems like it gets smacked in the face and slows down. It does still drive up the hills but the speed is greatly reduced (especially with a a couple adults on it). Granted the hills are decent sized around me, one is paved, though. Just wondering if this is normal for hills and older carts or is there something else I should check??

Also, it is lifted and has big meaty tires. When I get going 15-20mph it the steering wheel seems to jerk all over the road. Is there any sort of stabilizer or anything I can do to stop that?

Thanks all in advance!

Josh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jcrouch023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1998 ez go marathon 2pg

How is your belt condition? Is it worn? What about clutch operation? Clutches/belt is usually the biggest factor when it comes to torque and hill climbing.

As for the steering, how much play is there in the wheel before the wheels actually start to move? If I were a betting man, I'd say the steering gear is probably pretty worn.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #3
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
How is your belt condition? Is it worn? What about clutch operation? Clutches/belt is usually the biggest factor when it comes to torque and hill climbing.

As for the steering, how much play is there in the wheel before the wheels actually start to move? If I were a betting man, I'd say the steering gear is probably pretty worn.

I think the belts are good. I’m wondering if it’s the clutch.. when I took it into the shop to have the guy use a puller for me he said my clutch is going to go bad down the road and showed me these little bumps in it.. guess I’ll probably have to deal with that until I find a new clutch for a reasonable price.

For the steering..I can probably wobble the steering wheel 3-4 inches before the tires start to move. They are big meaty tires, too. Makes sense about the steering gear!

Old 06-18-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Your steering gear is shot. Should be pretty tight, even with meaty tires. Time to buy a new one, unfortunately they're not cheap. But if you have that much play, I'd spend the money, it's not safe to drive at speed like that.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Mine has a bit of play also but not quite as much as yours, Maybe 2"....

You'll want to check the gear at the end of the steering column, I don't mean the teeth but how it's mounted, IF I remember right it's connected to the shaft by a pin. That's where my slack was, I was going to drill it out a bit bigger and use a bigger pin to tighten it up but never did

EDIT: I read your heading wrong, I thought it said an 89 but I see it's a 98. Not sure if that's designed like mine....
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:27 AM   #6
Jcrouch023
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabble Inn View Post
Mine has a bit of play also but not quite as much as yours, Maybe 2"....

You'll want to check the gear at the end of the steering column, I don't mean the teeth but how it's mounted, IF I remember right it's connected to the shaft by a pin. That's where my slack was, I was going to drill it out a bit bigger and use a bigger pin to tighten it up but never did

EDIT: I read your heading wrong, I thought it said an 89 but I see it's a 98. Not sure if that's designed like mine....

Thank you, ill check that out. It actually is an 89 I need to change the title I transposed the numbers lol.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO