lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-01-2017, 02:34 PM   #1
Spartan Mark
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default 12-Volt Converter wired to Ignition Switch

I've looked at a number of posts giving pros and cons on wiring the 12-V converter through the cart on/off switch. Has anyone tried moving the wires around on a 4-stud key switch? One thread describes the four studs as B, I, B1 and L...B is 36-v in, I is out to controller, B1 and L are used for lights or 36-v accessories. (I think it was JohnnieB).

If I move the B and I wires to B1 and L, and run another 36-v wire to the B stud and the "trigger" wire to the converter from the I stud, wouldn't that give me basically on OFF-ACC-RUN switch rather than the traditional wiring of OFF-RUN-LIGHT switch? Doesn't that solve the problem of keeping the cart in RUN mode to run the radio and other accessories?
Spartan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-03-2017, 09:54 PM   #2
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 12-Volt Converter wired to Ignition Switch

I know this isn't answering the question you asked, but... On some (maybe most?) series EZGO when the cart is in neutral, between the F and R, there is no voltage to the key switch. Not something I knew about when my buddy wired his reducer through the key switch. Every time he switches from F to R, the stereo blanks out and is reset. It's a little frustrating but not too bad. Bad enough though that he would have wired it differently if he new in advance.

You can also get keys that are intentionally designed for off, acc, run for your golf cart. These have the added benefit of having a key that is not the same as every single other EZGO so it's a theft deterrent too.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
Spartan Mark
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Thanks...Some information is better than none! I'm about 1500 miles from the cart until spring, and I've only owned it since September so I'm trying to pre-plan next Spring's modifications. I do know it's a DCS, and plan on using ScottyB's conversion to the F-N-R Club Car switch so this is good info to have. I'd thought of wiring the converter (CartsUnlimited offering) direct to the battery pack and then using the three position ignition switch as Off-Acc-Run to power the radio, etc. So your cut-out-in-neutral problem will be something I'll need to watch out for. Also have toyed with the idea of using two fuse blocks, one switched through the ignition and the other unswitched coming directly off the hard-wired converter. I've also found GTW light kits now have all lighting (even on/off) in the turn signal stalk, so a separate light switch is not necessary.
Spartan Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 AM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartan Mark View Post
If I move the B and I wires to B1 and L, and run another 36-v wire to the B stud and the "trigger" wire to the converter from the I stud, wouldn't that give me basically on OFF-ACC-RUN switch rather than the traditional wiring of OFF-RUN-LIGHT switch? Doesn't that solve the problem of keeping the cart in RUN mode to run the radio and other accessories?
Yes, that will make it an Off-Acc-Run switch.

Be sure to connect the Acc input stud to a 36V source that stays on constantly or is 36V whenever the Run/Tow switch is in Run.

Like the Series drives, the voltage to the keyswitch drops out when the F/R is moved.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO