lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #11
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Battery charging

Really should be getting higher than that, but it could be the OBC maybe just needs a reset.
Disconnect the pack negative for about 10-15 minutes so the OBC will reset. Then hook it back up and plug the charger in. Let it run until it turns off.

You can't check battery voltage within a few minutes after the charger turns off, because that will always be an inflated number. Need to wait about 12 hours after the charger turns off before checking the at rest voltage. There is a surface charge from the higher voltage that the charger applies to the pack that hangs around for several hours after the charger turns off, and to get an accurate "at rest" or "state of charge" voltage you have to wait until that surface charge tapers off.

That long last phase of the charge process is there to help equalize the voltage of each cell in the pack, and as the cell voltages get further apart that finish phase can take longer than normal, or longer than it should. The OBC reset will do basically an equalization charge and its going to stir up the electrolyte in the cells (they're gonna bubble alot) and the finish phase is probably going to take longer than what it normally will. The OBC needs two charge cycles to re-evaluate the pack after a reset. So try not to interrupt the charge cycle (unplug the charger) unless it has run for more than 16 hours. At 16 hours the OBC is programmed to time out, and should turn the charger off even if it hasn't yet reached it's cut-off point in the charge cycle. If it is running for that long, and not shutting off, then you'll need to keep a closer watch on the pack voltage during charging and make sure it's getting over 58.3v at some point during the charge cycle.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2020, 05:21 PM   #12
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

OK, I will do the reset again. Maybe I stopped charge too soon, but the batteries were doing a lot of bubbleing and gurgling. Didn't want to blow up a battery.
I will wait until tomorrow to do the reset and charge so the batteries and charger can take a rest.
The voltage has dropped now after 2 hours to 52.8 on the battery pack.
Thanks for your help!!
Kartcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #13
Kartcruiser
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairtax4me View Post
Somethings not right with one battery I think. Where is the amp needle on the charger during this? Is it sitting around 5amps or is it lower?
Check the voltage of each battery while it's charging, and then unplug the charger and check each one again sometime tomorrow after they have come back to rest voltage.
Write down the On charge, and At rest voltage for each battery so they can be compared. They should all be pretty close to each other, within about 0.1V ideally. If they're more than 0.5v apart that's a bad sign.

After checking rest voltage take the cart for a ride, about 15-20 minutes, then check each battery again while the cart is driving, so you can see what their voltage is under load.

If they're all close to the same voltage during each of those tests, then unhook the pack negative for bout 10 minutes so the OBC resets. Hook the negative back up and plug the charger in and let it charge and see if it then goes above 54v. It should be getting the pack up to around 60v at some point during the charging process.
It sounds like one or possibly two batteries are failing and their voltage is coming up higher than the rest during charging, which could be forcing the OBC into the next phase before the other batteries are reaching a full charge.
Tried to reply yesterday but site was down. I followed your instructions and reset OBC. Connected charger and 3 hours later Charger cut off and battery pack has a full charge!!!
Thanks again for your help!!!!
Kartcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car