lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-2021, 09:35 AM   #1
Tubbs68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default convert 36v to 48v ac or buy new 72v ac?

I'm trying to decide weather to convert my current 2000 TXT 36v to a 48v ac or buy a new 72v ac. Obviously the former is cheaper overall, but it will require new seats, paint, motor, controller, and harnesses as well as a charger. Any suggestions?
Tubbs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-22-2021, 02:05 PM   #2
greg9719
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: convert 36v to 48v ac or buy new 72v ac?

Not sure the price on a new one but my 1999 TXT 36 to 48v conversion with axle lift, wheels, tires, 500amp ally tax, new batts, frame off paint, redo seats, etc came in right at $4k. Just have to do a cost benefit for yourself. I did mine in stages over a year from a non-functional cart. If yours is functional you can do in stages. If I had the disposable income to buy new I’d have loved to but it’s not in the cards for me and I think I have an awesome cart for the price.

Only you can ultimately make that decision.
greg9719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs68 View Post
I'm trying to decide weather to convert my current 2000 TXT 36v to a 48v ac or buy a new 72v ac. Obviously the former is cheaper overall, but it will require new seats, paint, motor, controller, and harnesses as well as a charger. Any suggestions?
A 2000 TXT had two types of drive systems, Series or PDS (Sepex) and a new harness isn't needed unless you want to change the drive type.

Changing the motor isn't needed since 36V motors run better on 48V. The original motor may need a good cleaning, new brushes and new bearings, but only needs to be changed if no longer adequate for the task.

If you stick with the same drive type, only the controller, solenoid, battery pack and charger needs to be changed. If it is a series type drive, also replacing the mechanical F/R switch with a reversing contactor is a good idea. New high amp cables are also a good idea. (10 cables for PDS - 13 for a Series)

Plus the cosmetic stuff.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 03:26 PM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

And another thing to consider is that you can make your current cart easily run 25 mph with work that you can do yourself. You will have to get someone like Bob to reprogram a new one to get that sort of speed.
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 02:21 AM   #5
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbs68 View Post
To drop in a Navitas TAC2 600amp controller and 5kw motor you will need:

1. A new wire harness TXT48.
2. Obviously the Navitas TAC2 600amp controller and 5kw motor and trim (OTF, etc...)
3. 48v worth of batteries.
4. F/R switch. I recommend using the CC Precedent housing and switch so you can put it at your knees.
5. New charge port.
6. MZJ-400 48v 400a solenoid.
7. Single pole tow/run switch.
8. New 48v charger.

Also, depending on the cart you have you will have to move the rear driver side shock as the 5kw motor is large. You can tilt it out with an extension plate. I do it all the time.

I have done a bunch of conversions of older TXTs to 48v with the Navitas AC kit. Currently have 2 on the go right now. I prefer to use 2001.5+ 4-bolt steering system carts but, I have also done the older 3 bolt steering setups as well.

Its really not that hard to do the conversion. There are Navitas dealers that sell all the parts to convert a PDS, DCS or Series based TXTs as a package deal w/ all the Navitas stuff you will need.

Cheers,
Imp
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:53 AM   #6
Tubbs68
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This is exactly what I was considering. Still undecided whether to go new 72v or this route. The cart has treated us well for many years and runs great now just needs a little boost and some paint.
Tubbs68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO