lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
Kix
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart Not Used for 6 months

I am going to have to leave my cart for 6 months. My question is how do I prepare the batteries to hopefully survive?

I don't want to leave the 36v charger connected as the house will be vacant. The cart is a '96 TXT series cart with Trojan T105's. The Trojans are '06 vintage but as of now are still doing well. By the time I leave in a couple of months I may have had to replace them.

My plans are to put the cart itself on stands but I'm not sure of the best course of action to preserve the batteries. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart Not Used for 6 months

6 months unattended is guaranteed to do some damage ...... DO not get new batteries and leave them like that. You should find somebody to recharge your cart each month. Call a local cart shop for storage rates.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
Kix
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply Scotty.
I wonder if I could locate and buy a timer that would power the charger on once every 30 days?
It doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling about leaving it, even on a timer but.......
Kix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

06 batteries are nearing the end of their usable life. If you were to leave them unattended for 6 months you would practically guarentee their death.....

Best bet (other than Scotty's suggestion) would be to find a friend, neighbor or realitive that can take care of the cart for you while you are gone. Leaving a charger plugged in for that length of time is asking for trouble as lightning finds a way to hit chargers on a regular basis...... AND.... most chargers do not turn on automatically to restart the charge even if they are left plugged in. There are a few on the market that have that feature, but if you have the original that came with the cart, it won't work to leave it plugged in.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
06 batteries are nearing the end of their usable life. If you were to leave them unattended for 6 months you would practically guarentee their death.....
My 2002 Exides are still running strong. And since I'm running on borrowed trime, I drive them like there's no tomorrow. Last night, I took a LONG ride with four other passengers all around hills and valleys. I wouldn't dismiss 2006 batteries as gone, though I also wouldn't leave them unattended.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Your 2002 Exides are the exception, not the rule. Trust me ... we replace batteries for a living. There are always exceptions but for the most part 4-5 year old batteries are at the end of their useful life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:20 AM   #7
e-z-go1988
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kix View Post
I am going to have to leave my cart for 6 months. My question is how do I prepare the batteries to hopefully survive?

I don't want to leave the 36v charger connected as the house will be vacant. The cart is a '96 TXT series cart with Trojan T105's. The Trojans are '06 vintage but as of now are still doing well. By the time I leave in a couple of months I may have had to replace them.

My plans are to put the cart itself on stands but I'm not sure of the best course of action to preserve the batteries. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
I would connect three of these 'battery/maintainers' to the pack (pair off the 6v batteries into 3 12v packs). I intend to do this as I don't use the cart much in the winter.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...ner-99857.html

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gener...tml#post436230
e-z-go1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO