lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Inconsistant power and hot F&R switch

OK, here's my next issue,....

Now, I already know I have a battery issue, But, I after I charge them, I go to run the cart and it runs great! I stop, turn the key off and then come back 10 or 20 minutes later. I turn everything on and the cart runs, but at a slower rate. Stop and turn it on again and it's back to runing great?

What might be causing this? Also, would it be related to a hot F&R swith? Now, the hot switch thing was only notice after an hour or two of run time and when the batteries were almost completely discharged. (This is when I found that the water level was low by about 1.5 gallons.

Lastly, would loose or frayed cable/nuts cause this?

Thanks.
gumpbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
lmswest
Gone Wild

Default Re: Inconsistant power and hot F&R switch

Loose or corroded wires need to be addressed first and foremost.
Charge the batteries and let them rest for a half day or so and see where the pack voltage is..
Clean and tighten all contacts,even the ones at the f&r switch
lmswest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Care should be taken to remove a + or - main connection first and reconnect it last when cleaning all connections. More than one controller was lost to a slipped wrench on the motor studs or?
Speaking of motor studs ~ use 2 wrenches if you are taking the cables off the motor studs. The bottom nut is supposed to prevent the stud from spinning which causes internal damage to the motor wiring. Use 1 wrench to hold the stud from spinning while you loosen the top nut.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK, I pulled the Neg cable and followed the reset process. Have not reconnected anything yet. Found that a blue cable coming from the lower portion of the f&R swith, (with switch in the neutral positon) is very frayed. This cable appears to run all the way back to the motor. Looks like something was causing it to catch on nearby cables. So every time you move the lever, it was tugging on the cable. So now, at the connector, at the terminal at the f&R swith, its 50% frayed. however, the insulation around the cable is just fine. There is a number 9 (or 6) on the back of the connector. I was thinking about cutting the connector off and installing a new one. I woud only loose about an inch of cable.

Could this be my inconsistant power issue? While the cable has always been connected, I can see how several wires would be connected and then less at times.

Thoughts?
Old 08-13-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

PS, Power in reverse has not been an issue at all. That cable seems fine.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:13 PM   #6
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumpbuck View Post
OK, I pulled the Neg cable and followed the reset process. Have not reconnected anything yet. Found that a blue cable coming from the lower portion of the f&R swith, (with switch in the neutral positon) is very frayed. This cable appears to run all the way back to the motor. Looks like something was causing it to catch on nearby cables. So every time you move the lever, it was tugging on the cable. So now, at the connector, at the terminal at the f&R swith, its 50% frayed. however, the insulation around the cable is just fine. There is a number 9 (or 6) on the back of the connector. I was thinking about cutting the connector off and installing a new one. I woud only loose about an inch of cable.

Could this be my inconsistant power issue? While the cable has always been connected, I can see how several wires would be connected and then less at times.

Thoughts?
If it was loose or a poor connection it will cause resistance which will cause heat.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #7
gumpbuck
Gone Wild

Club Car

OK,
switched the connector and trimmed/cleaned up the cable to the F&R switch. reconnected the Neg cable and all came back on as it should. Took the cart for a ride. stopped and shut of the cart, including switching off the key, several times. Could not replicate the low power issue in forward gear. Ran stereo and lights and did not notice any loss of power, (GPS has me at 19/20 MPH either way. The meter did flinch when I turned on the stereo, but the cart continued to run well.

Hope this was the root of my issue.

Now to see how long the batteries will last between charges.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

My guess is the orange wire on F-R switch but your switch is hard to move it also is going bad
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:55 AM   #9
caokgafamily
Gone Wild

Club Car

Gumpbuck,
It sounds like you need a set of new battery cables also, Scotty can hook you up.

good luck,
Steve
caokgafamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Rather see how long the batteries can last between charges, see how many times you can recharge them in a week. This will do more to rejuvenate them than anything else... shallow discharges and recharge. Repeat.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car