lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-27-2018, 04:07 PM   #1
Vinish
Not Yet Wild

Default Starter Belt Slipping in '09

I have a 2009 gas Club Car Precedent. When I step on the gas, about half the time, the engine starts right up and the cart takes right off and about half the time there is a metal spinning noise that lasts for ~5 seconds and then the engine starts and the cart takes off.

I dug into it today and learned that the starter motor is properly turning on every time. The problem is due to slipping of the belt between the starter motor pulley and the larger engine pulley. When it exhibits the spinning noise without engine start, it is the starter motor and starter motor pulley spinning WITHOUT the starter belt moving. In other words, the starter motor pulley is spinning inside the belt.

Sometimes the starter motor pulley spins without belt movement and sometimes the starter motor pulley immediately spins the belt. When the spinning occurs, the belt eventually starts moving and the engine starts once the starter belt moves.

The offending starter belt seems really tight but I have no experience with judging how tight it should be.

What might be the cause of the starter belt slipping? Is it purely a function of belt tension or can belt age, pulley smoothness, or some other factor play a role?

I am pretty handy and do all my own motorcycle maintenance and repair but this will be my first foray into cart repair. Is it easy to get the belt off? If the starter pulley needs repaired or replaced, is this easy to get off?

Are there any tricks t getting the proper tension on the starter belt or knowing if the starter belt is even at the proper tension?

Finally, are there any symptoms I can look for on the belt itself to determine if it needs replaced?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

G'day,

Vinish
Vinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2018, 04:36 PM   #2
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Starter Belt Slipping in '09

Tension is a big part of it but dust, dirt, oil or any other contaminant can cause it to slip even if it's properly tight. Other possibility is that the belt itself is getting old, brittle or heat glazed and just won't grip like it used to. If the belt is more than a couple years old, or you don't know how old it is, I would change it. Again make sure it's good and tight, but you don't want to over do it and end up doing bearing damage.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car