lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 1988 lifted ds jerking when I take off

I got a 1988 ds with the stock flathead engine 6 inch lift an 23 inch tire. Every since I lifted it it jerks and bucks every time I take off. Replaced belt and front rubber peice on the subframe. Any ideas what it may be? Worked fine when it was stock height and tires stock. Thanks for any input or ideas on it
bigred4749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2018, 04:30 PM   #2
Rgf911
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1988 lifted ds jerking when I take off

Did you check the oil level?
Rgf911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yes appears to be full
Old 04-24-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Do I need to overfill a little?
Old 04-24-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
dean.isbell
Not Yet Wild

I had that problem also after adding a 4” lift to my ‘o3 carryall. I found in other threads that it could be from the primary, secondary and/or belt. If those are fine, it is possible that the cradle that the engine and transaxle are mounted to is flexing causing the distance between the primary and secondary to change. This can be resolved by welding some bracing to the cradle.

I replaced the stock engine with a Vegas Carts 460 engine and mount. For the most part the problem is gone but once in awhile it will buck a bit. I did not brace the cradle, hoping the addition of the new mount brackets would strengthen it. I am considering adding some bracing if the condition gets any worse or more regular.

Good luck and please post your results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dean.isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:29 AM   #6
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Doesn't sound at all like an oil issue.

Let's see a photo of your clutches and belt. Club Car used two different styles of drive/driven clutches and they often get mismatched, and even online parts suppliers don't even appear to be aware of the issue (possibly because it tends to not affect stock carts with little tires). Club Car used the older style clutches from 1984-1987, and a newer style clutches from 1987.5-up. I know you said yours is an '88 but it's very common to see mismatched parts on carts that came from fleet environments where different carts are cobbled together from different model years. The issue is that if the clutches are mismatched, the belt does not run true-center in the clutch sheaves, it's about a half-inch off.

This problem was likely not occurring when you cart had the stock 18" tires on it, but is happening now that you have a lift and likely bigger tires on it which is putting a bigger demand on your drivetrain off the line.

I have a buddy who currently has this issue on his lifted '87. Installed a rear end from an '86 with the old style clutch, and has a newer style clutch up front on the motor. He's been putting off fixing it for almost a year now but I think he's going to be swapping it out soon.

And it's not that your KF82 flathead can't handle the bigger tires, I have an '87 on 22s and a '90 on 22.5s and both run great and never jerk on takeoff. Both flathead carts.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #7
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's a thread where I tried to explain the differences in the clutches:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-bad-ugly.html
Old 04-26-2018, 07:31 AM   #8
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Can’t figure out how to put pics on but the clutches match. They are both the older ones. 1987.5 and older
Old 04-26-2018, 08:28 AM   #9
Bean3673
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

I swapped mine over to the severe duty belt and it bounced like crazy went back the stock belt and it went away. I didn’t see if you said your belt type but that’s something you can check.
Bean3673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:19 AM   #10
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred4749 View Post
Can’t figure out how to put pics on but the clutches match. They are both the older ones. 1987.5 and older
Those old clutches might also might be your problem. One of the reasons Club Car changed clutch designs overall was because the older clutches weren't as durable as they designed the newer ones to be. One feature the newer clutches have is a shaft-mounted roller bearing in between the two sheaves of the drive clutch (front clutch) that allows the belt to "freewheel" at low rpms, which allows for smoother take offs.

Also, those older clutches used a slightly narrower belt, so if you ordered a new belt for your '88 (which would have come from the factory with the newer clutches), that wider belt could easily be a cause of jerky take-offs. If you have those older clutches, then you may want to order a belt for a 1984-1987 model, if they're still available somewhere.

Or you may want to try and locate some newer clutches (this is what I would do). Any drive clutch for a 1988-up Club Car DS will work, but driven clutch internal springs are directional, so you'll need a 1988-1996 unit, or else you can buy a newer one (1997+) and upgrade to the torque spring (which is unidirectional).
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car