lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-23-2020, 09:02 PM   #1
Mike7516
Not Yet Wild

Post 2009 Precedent Won't Charge (New batteries, New Charger, Bypassed OBC)

I have a 2009 Club Car Precedent that previously had 4 12 volt batteries that were dying. I replaced the batteries with 6, 8 volt batteries in January. It worked great up until 2 weeks ago when it stopped charging. Before even if the batteries were charged the Powerdrive charger would click on for at least a brief minute. Now it doesnt even click. Took the charger to work and plugged into another club car.. charger worked fine. I decided to order a new charger and bypass the OBC by cutting the black wire where it goes into the OBC and routing it to the last negative battery. Plugged in the new 5A charger I got that is set to charge to 54.5 A yet when I check the batteries they aren't going above 48.5 A so I don't even think its charging. What am I missing? Did I do the bypass wrong, am i missing a fuse that even bypassing wont fix and my powerdrive charger would still work?
Mike7516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2020, 09:31 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 2009 Precedent Won't Charge (New batteries, New Charger, Bypassed OBC)

The 5 amp charger is not nearly enough to charge a pack that size. It will work OK as a maintainer/float charge, but it will never charge the pack properly from being discharged, and will very soon leave you with a dead pack.

You need a charger that will deliver a least 13 amps to properly charge a typical golf cart pack. The main reason for that is it needs to provide high amperage for the plates in the batteries to obtain the proper voltage during charging, and there are quite a few reasons for that. A 48v pack needs to get above about 60V during charging in order to charge the plates properly, and absorb the energy that's being put back in by the charger.

If you're looking for inexpensive, look for one of the Modzmax brand 15amp chargers on amazon. They seem to work very well for a basic charger for a golf cart.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #3
Mike7516
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2009 Precedent Won't Charge (New batteries, New Charger, Bypassed OBC)

Would the fact that’s it’s 5 A explain why the pack isn’t going above 48.5 volts? The one I bought to replace the factory charger was a traktronix 48 volt charger. It says 54.5 on the side of the charger but nothings happening when it comes to the battery pack. I did drive the cart around and it lowered to 48 volts with it being plugged in for a day and just seems to pull 48.5 / 48.4 when I check the voltage.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:32 PM   #4
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

At 48v resting voltage that pack is basically dead. It’s at or below 50% state of charge and a 5amp charger is going to take anywhere from 24 to 36 hours to bring it back up to around 90%.
A pack at 50% SOC usually takes 10-12 hours to fully recharge when starting with a 15 amp charge rate. You’re giving it 1/3 that many amps which is basically like giving a trickle charge. It’s gonna take forever, and it’s not going to properly energize the plates which will lead to heavy sulfate buildup on the plates, and very quickly lead to loss of capacity. It’s just not suited to the charging that is necessary to properly recharge a deep cycle golf cart battery.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Mike7516
Not Yet Wild

Post Re: 2009 Precedent Won't Charge (New batteries, New Charger, Bypassed OBC)

Okay so I ordered the new Charger that you recommended on Amazon. Should be here next week. Returning the 5 Amp charger in the meantime. My only concern is that i'm missing something else that could be a problem rather than just the charger since that 5Amp 48 volt charger has been plugged in for well over 48 hours and the pack has not moved at all from the 48.4 Volts it was 2 days ago.
Anything else I should double check while I'm waiting for the other charger to come in? I ask cause I did plug my old charger that I had and works on other carts and it doesn't even click on. I'f i'm correct, if OBC is bypassed that charger should start but would not know when to shut off due to the OBC being bypassed. Just want to cross all my T's while I wait as I don't want to damage the batteries cause they are brand new.
Old 03-27-2020, 01:40 PM   #6
Mike7516
Not Yet Wild

Post Re: 2008 Precedent Won't Charge (New batteries, New Charger, Bypassed OBC)

I'm about to throw in the towel...
Got the new charger(MODZ Max4 as requested.. plugged it in and it rotates between red, green, and yellow on the notification light on the charger with the fan turning on and off. Still not charging so I think its something else..
I bypassed the black wire directly to the negative terminal on the battery from the receptacle.
I unscrewed the recepticle and everythign is still attached. The grey wire is still going to the OBC, should it be? or do i just cut that and add that to the negative post and ground it? I kept reading about jumping it from the fuse in the grey wire to the negative to see if its the OBC.. My grey wire does not have a fuse. I followed it from the receptacle all the way to where it attaches.. Nothing..
What else am I missing?
Old 03-27-2020, 03:02 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

The Modz charger does not need the grey wire so you can cut it out and remove it.
Your Black from the charge receptacle should go to pack negative. Or to the B- at the controller.
Your Red from the charge receptacle needs to connect to the Pack main positive. If it's connected to the wrong battery or has corrosion inside the wire you will not get proper voltage to the receptacle and the charger may not charge.
With the Red and Black connected in the proper places you should measure 48V pack voltage with voltmeter probes placed in the corresponding terminals of the receptacle. If you do not have pack voltage at the receptacle, One of the wires is not connected in the right place, or there is damage in one of the wires or in the terminals of the receptacle.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:56 AM   #8
sleepyjoe
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2008 Precedent Won't Charge (New batteries, New Charger, Bypassed OBC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7516 View Post
I'm about to throw in the towel...
Got the new charger(MODZ Max4 as requested.. plugged it in and it rotates between red, green, and yellow on the notification light on the charger with the fan turning on and off. Still not charging so I think its something else..
I bypassed the black wire directly to the negative terminal on the battery from the receptacle.
I unscrewed the recepticle and everythign is still attached. The grey wire is still going to the OBC, should it be? or do i just cut that and add that to the negative post and ground it? I kept reading about jumping it from the fuse in the grey wire to the negative to see if its the OBC.. My grey wire does not have a fuse. I followed it from the receptacle all the way to where it attaches.. Nothing..
What else am I missing?
Hey Mike. Just curious, what was the end result in your case? I have the exact same issue. I tried calling MODZ support line but they weren't really able to provide any advice on the flashing light sequence.
sleepyjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 03:21 PM   #9
tankboy
Not Yet Wild

Following - same issue
tankboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, bypass, charger, charging, obc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car