lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-23-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default New Rookie Lithium Install

Just purchased the 4-pack, 6.4kWh lithium pack from bigbattery.com. I'll install in a 1996 club car DS. The only experience I have is the research done here and considerable experience with lithium paks in radio controlled models, which for this application means nothing.

My cc DS is a Regen model that uses an OBC to control charging. The charger is a Lester Electrical 'Links' charger, model 31606. I don't know if this is a PowerDriver charger or not. I was hoping to use the existing OBC and charger with the new lithium array pak, but now not so sure I can. If I have to remove the OBC, I've read enough to be able to do this without issues. I'll also be disconnecting the Regen function and removing the 2nd solenoid associated with it.

The lithium pak is 4 separate 48v batteries that will be connected in parallel. It appears each battery is self-contained, meaning each has it's own BMS, but I'm not certain.

Questions:
1. Do you guys recommend a different charger, and if so can you recommend a low profile charger I can mount inside the battery compartment?
2. Do you recommend removal of the OBC?
3. Do you have any concerns about installing this particular 4 battery pak array in this cc DS that I needs my attention?
4. Do you recommend or think I need to install positive and negative busses?
5. The cc DS currently has a 48v to 12v reducer installed. What is the best way to wire this into the new setup?

Any help is very much appreciated. I'll post my progress as I go along just in case any other newbies come across this thread.
Thanks in advance.
kgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-23-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
keepinitreal538
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: New Rookie Lithium Install

it says the length is 15.5 where are you putting the forth pack? the DS battery treys will only fit one pack each?
keepinitreal538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #3
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

They should fit. Two side by side in the center, one on either end. The 2 center batts may be snug and if they interfere with the F/R switch penetration, i can raise them up and push them back a bit which will require some modification to the center battery tray. We'll see when they arrive. BigBattery seems to think they will fit in the existing trays without issues.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #4
kgarvey
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Tub is cleaned up and ready for batteries, which are still with Fed Ex somewhere in Stockton, CA. I have no idea right now if the new lithium bats will fit, or if i can make them fit somehow. Won't know for sure until batteries arrive. If they fit, it's going to be tight. I'm planning on installing a flooring setup for the batts since they will need to be pushed back toward the rear of the cart as far as practical. Pulled out the DB solenoid, removed the DB dump coil and that gives me more room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BattTubCleanup.jpg (31.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg DBsolenoidGone.jpg (22.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 03-03-2021, 11:01 AM   #5
afghan
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hi, just wanted to inquire if you were able to fit these batteries. I have ordered the kit with 2 batteries and a little concerned that they are 15.5" long long. I have the same club car DS set up you have.
afghan is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car