lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2008, 03:04 PM   #1
jeffgrig
Not Yet Wild

Default Simplest wiring for Club Car 48v IQ motor

I have a 48v IQ motor from a Club Car (don't know the year). I do not have the rest of the electrical system from the cart. I want to know what is the minimal system I need to get this to run and control the speed (forward and reverse)?

I am getting a curtis controller for a Precident (?) cart. It is 48 v 250 amps.

I have looked at the wiring diagram (posted last year) that I think would be used with this motor, but have a couple of questions:
1. What solenoid do I need and how do I wire it? The diagram shows 8 wires connected to the solenoid, but it looks like 4 are attached to the same post.

2. Do I need the "limit switches" or what is their purpose?

3. What is the "on board computer?" Is this just for power monitoring?

4. It looks like I want an on/off switch of some sort, a 0-5k ohm pot. (is 48 volts going through this?), some sort of forward/reverse switch, and a solenoid. Do I really need anything else (well, other than batteries :) )?

Thanks for any help,
Jeff
jeffgrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2008, 03:43 PM   #2
jeffgrig
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Simplest wiring for Club Car 48v IQ motor

Looking at the Curtis Inst. site, it looks like the controller that I have coming is a Curtis 1266. If this is the case, it looks like none of the wiring diagrams posted last year really reflect how this should be wired (or am I wrong on this). In fact, looking at the manual for the 1266, it looks like I can just connect a 0-5k pot and a forward/reverse switch to the controller and eliminate the solenoid. The only other thing the manual says is required is a speed sensor of some sort (any direction on where to get this?).

Again, thanks for any help,
Jeff
Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM   #3
golfcartpro
Not Yet Wild

we need to know what year your cart is first, what is your serial number, and we can tell you the year of your cart.
golfcartpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
jeffgrig
Not Yet Wild

I guess I wasn't clear on this. I don't have a cart. I have an IQ motor from a Club Car which I want to use to power a different vehicle.

The Date code on the motor is TVNN, the Model # is 5BC59JBS6365, and the part number is 102240102 (I assume that's Club Car's part number). It is 48 volts with 4 terminals (F1, F2, A1, A2) and a "pig-tail" with (I think) 2 wires in it (I'm going from memory on that part, because the motor is at home and I am not).

Now, from the looks of things, I would connect the following to the Curtis 1266 controller:

B+ to Battary + and to A1 (motor armature 1)
B- to Battery -
M1 to A2 (armature 2)
S1 to F1 (motor field 1)
S2 to F2 (field 2)

Then I need to hook up the control portion of the controller:

0 - 5k Pot to the Pot HI, Pot Low, and Wiper inputs
It has 2 separate inputs for Fwd and Rev switches
Hall effect speed sensor of some kind (manual says this is required to run the motor).

I figured that, rather than a key switch, I would just have a battery shut off to remove power from the whole system when not in use.

All the diagrams I was seeing online showed a solenoid and much more complicated wiring, but it seems that they made the controller do everything on the IQ system.

My question is, does this look reasonable? Am I missing something here? This would be easier if I had a cart to compare things to.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Old 05-07-2008, 07:14 AM   #5
roady89
nimda
Club Car

In order for it to work your going to pretty much have to have the whole system intact. You could probly get way with no speed sensor. You will need the wiring for the controller, not the motor because it may be specific to that controller. Club car has alot of different wiring for their carts.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:36 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgrig View Post
I guess I wasn't clear on this. I don't have a cart. I have an IQ motor from a Club Car which I want to use to power a different vehicle.

(missing text)

My question is, does this look reasonable? Am I missing something here? This would be easier if I had a cart to compare things to.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Just real curious......what are u building?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #7
jeffgrig
Not Yet Wild

A boat.

As far as the speed sensor goes, the Curtis manual says: "A speed sensor is required for use with any 1266 controller. The speed sensor must be of a pulse type, and must interface to the controller with an open collector NPN transistor output. The most common sensor type will be a Hall effect switch IC...." I'm wondering if they build this into the motor and that's what the pig tail is. The power is going in through the F1, F2, A1, and A2 connectors, and the reverse is handled in the controller, so I can't think of any other wires that would go to the motor.

Any thoughts?

Jeff
Old 05-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
roady89
nimda
Club Car

The sensor is in the endcap, if there are no wires coming from the end then the sensor is missing.

You should have F1, F2, A1, A2 and the sensor wires. I think 3....maybe 2, not sure.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:20 AM   #9
jeffgrig
Not Yet Wild

Terrific! That's a big help. There are wires coming out, but it was not immediately obvious why they were there.

The controller should show up today. I need to find a 5 - 10k (I know I said 0-5k before, but I misread the manual) potentiometer. I think I might have something laying around that I can use for bench testing.

Thank you,

Jeff
Old 05-07-2008, 08:24 AM   #10
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Radio shack has them. I use them myself for testing. I wouldn't use them for a throttle because they are cheap peices but for testing they are fine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car