lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-25-2011, 07:43 AM   #1
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Gas driping out of the bottom of motor

I seen some spots of oil/gas on the floor under my cart and found that it is coming from the gasket between the 2 half of the crankcase. Is this a big deal and hurt the motors power? It is a 1987 ezgo marathon with the 244cc robins motor. I rebuilt the top half 1 1/2 years ago then everything look good on the crankcase now it leaks. Should I tear it apart and reseal it? If I do tear it apart what would be the best sealant to use? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 012.JPG (177.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 010.JPG (166.9 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 016.JPG (163.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg 013.JPG (155.6 KB, 13 views)
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 AM   #2
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas driping out of the bottom of motor

Are you sure that it is leaking from the crankcase halves and not from somewhere else and running down the engine block. Frankly I would be surprised that your engine would even run with a crankcase leak as it will not be able to build up the internal pressure to move fuel from the crankcase to the cylinder.

If you look again and find that the leak is actually coming from the exhaust port then that is a symptom of a defective fuel pump, and that will be a much better problem that a crankcase leak. However if it is in the crankcase then you could try nipping up the 5 long bolts to see if any have worked loose. With regard to sealant use any gas / oil impervious mastic. I used Mega Grey simply because it is grey and matched the color of the metal.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
sharse36
Gone Wild

Club Car

I wiped everything off and took a ride today and the leak is from the two half's. Dry buy the tailpipe a very little coming from the bottom gasket to the head. Most is coming from the half's. It not running like it use to does not take off good but still runs. How big of deal is it to split the motor?
sharse36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 08:31 AM   #4
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

I always like to start these things of with "What I would do is...." because it's your cart, your money and your call, but what I would do is.

Take this opportunity to replace your main bearings (three at $7) and your crankshaft seals ( two at $3). The job is not difficult just a bit tedious. You have already replaced the top end (and it might be worth checking the compression again) so you know how to get the engine out and the cylinder off. Now you will need to pop the clutch off with the correct puller that you can purchase or make yourself for less than $10. Then having removed the fan shroud and the big nut that holds the flywheel on you need a two arm steering wheel puller to pull the flywheel off. Then out with the pulsar coil and you are set to split the halves. If everything comes apart as it should then this job will take an afternoon. That said the clutch and the flywheel have been on a long time and will be tight. You will need liberal applications of PB Blaster and beer to make this happen, but rest assured many guys have done it and so will you.

You will also need a new cylinder head gasket, cylinder base gasket and I would also replace the two exhaust gaskets as well as the inlet manifold gaskets. I also recommend using some Loctite Blue bearing seal on the crankshaft seals as the sometimes have a habit of popping out of a worn engine.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 06:36 PM   #5
onlyonmonday
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Did the float stick and filled the crank ??

If so running fuel as lube is a serious issue.
onlyonmonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO