lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
jlind4522
Not Yet Wild

Default g9 clutch problems

ok I need some help. I think I have a problem with the rear clutch assy. looking at Brandons pictures on page 199, when my cart is off, the belt is positioned as it is in brandons pitcure at full throttle. I pulled the rear sheave
apart and measured the spring as per the yamaha manual. is seems to be within the height meas. but has very little tension, I can compress very easy
Do I need to replace the spring and sheaves.
thanks
Jeff
jlind4522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
CajunLoneWolf
The Pro in procrastinate!

Yamaha

Default Re: g9 clutch problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlind4522 View Post
ok I need some help. I think I have a problem with the rear clutch assy. looking at Brandons pictures on page 199, when my cart is off, the belt is positioned as it is in brandons pitcure at full throttle. I pulled the rear sheave
apart and measured the spring as per the yamaha manual. is seems to be within the height meas. but has very little tension, I can compress very easy
Do I need to replace the spring and sheaves.
thanks
Jeff
The factory spring on mine I was able to compress by hand as well. There is a huge difference between it and the white tourque spring I got from CPP. But yes If your belt is sitting all the way at the bottom when it is off you have a secondary problem for sure. The sliding sheave might be sticking on the shaft and getting hung up. I cant see where the spring wouuld be so weak as to not compress the sheaves back together. Although weirder things have happened.
CajunLoneWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

What is wrong with them, they should work like this

You can put the yamahauler spring in, or get a torque kit. That spring reacts to torque so the engine can rev with hard throttle and not rev at light throttle. You have to rotate the sheave to preload the spring, it will push the ramps together, then bolt on. With a kit they do not preload. I stretched mine out some and is still in there.

Sheaves will usually wear holes in them eventually, the alum sheaves. A cut sheave does work nice for more power on takeoff. All they do is cut the inside so they push the belt up out the top a little at rest for a lower gear.

Odds are if you have a problem its with the primary, because you can see all the secondary its pretty simple. If the ramp pads are good and spring in there, and it moves on the shaft free there is not much else to it. The primary the links and rollers go bad. G9 like in video has pins and links no rollers, and center bushing that can get dry or loose. There is a grease fitting on both clutches, they shoudl be cleaned and lubed if not done before. Only 1-2 pump grease in them make sure none gets on belt. Also 1" wide belt is toast get new, even sooner for a lifted cart. Worn sheaves will wear from belt, the alum will get dished in then get holes in it.

Also if the primary is working right it will open when you stop. You can pull it open by hand the belt will fall inside. The secondary spring will make the belt go to top if you turn it in neutral but only time that happens is if you lock brakes at higher speed then you are not letting it shift back down when you stop.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
jlind4522
Not Yet Wild

thanks for all the help. turns out all I had to do was take both front and rear apart and clean and lube. now shifts just like it should
jlind4522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Good deal!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha