lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: IGNITION COIL possible short ?

Thanks Ray , I will look into tracing the 30 amp ground blade fuse wiring I will post my findings , I am a little under the weather right now will try to do it monday. just so you know the 10 amp fuse is a positive wire that connects to the solenoid post that is feed from positive on battery.
George
beausun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Seems like the actual wiring for your cart may be different from the G16 wiring diagram . The 10 amp fuse in the G16 is a fuse placed between all of the cart's wiring and ground. In any event tracing the 30 amp circuit should help as that is probably where the problem is. Also, I don't think you are looking at a short circuit or that fuse would clear a lot quicker than what you have indicated. Something is pulling more current than it should during cranking and opening the fuse. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:07 PM   #13
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok I opened up the wiring harness this is what I found starting from the negative post on battery there is black pigtail that runs directly to 1 side of 30 amp fuse.

from the other side of fuse the wire comes to a junction that has 6 black wires crimped together with a brass crimp and was heat shrinked.
1 wire goes to bracket on solenoid
1 wire goes to a small terminal on solenoid
1 wire goes to what i think is voltage regulator
2 wires go to engine stop relay

then 1 wire has a junction in it that goes to engine block next to pickup. and and then continues on under chassis towards front of cart I have not gone any farther yet need to jack up cart so i can get under it to trace more.

I hate wiring lol its my worst nightmare. let me know what you think so far Thanks.
George
Old 02-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #14
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by beausun View Post
ok I opened up the wiring harness this is what I found starting from the negative post on battery there is black pigtail that runs directly to 1 side of 30 amp fuse.

from the other side of fuse the wire comes to a junction that has 6 black wires crimped together with a brass crimp and was heat shrinked.
1 wire goes to bracket on solenoid
1 wire goes to a small terminal on solenoid
1 wire goes to what i think is voltage regulator
2 wires go to engine stop relay

then 1 wire has a junction in it that goes to engine block next to pickup. and and then continues on under chassis towards front of cart I have not gone any farther yet need to jack up cart so i can get under it to trace more.

I hate wiring lol its my worst nightmare. let me know what you think so far Thanks.
George
P.S This is link for my owners manual so you can see my wiring diagram just copy and paste ok.

1998 utility G11A Gas

http://www.yamahagolfcar.com/partsan...rsmanuals.aspx
Old 02-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #15
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Try unplugging the voltage regulator, then run it, i have seen them cause this before.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #16
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Looks a lot like the 10 amp circuit in the G16 wiring !! I'll look at it a little further, in the meantime try it with unplugged regulator as Cgtech suggests. An internal short there would blow that fuse. Maybe you'll get lucky . If I come up with any other suggestions I'll let you know. Something is causing high current in that ground return. RAY
Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 PM   #17
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok i will check that in the morning thanks guys , will the engine start without that pluged in?
Old 02-11-2014, 12:17 AM   #18
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

It should start if the fuse holds out, but the generator won't charge the battery. RAY
Old 02-11-2014, 11:17 AM   #19
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok I unplugged the voltage regulator and turned key on fuse still ok then I depressed accelerator to start engine, engine started just as fuse blew again. :(
Old 02-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ok, it cost you a fuse to find out that the voltage regulator is not blowing the fuse and it is probably ok. Obviously something is drawing enough current to blow that fuse. We shouldn't overlook the clue that disconnecting the 2 wires for the ignition kill circuit clears the problem. But why ??
At this point I am pretty much stumped. Possibly something strange going on inside the stop relay. You could pull the heavy + lead at the starter to keep from cranking and starting the engine. This would allow you to troubleshoot without the engine running by turning on key switch and depressing the gas pedal. You could then eliminate items one by one to see where problem lies. Sorry, but I don't think I can be of any more help without actually having it in front of me. The fact that you really don't have the actual wiring diagram doesn't help either. Good luck - RAY

PS - Feel free to ask any other questions as you go, also let us know what the problem is/was if you find it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha