lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-2014, 02:09 PM   #21
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: IGNITION COIL possible short ?

ok I will try that Ray, thanks for the help wish you were here lol wiring is my worst nightmare come true. lol
George
beausun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #22
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok I pulled the heavy lead off starter now solenoid just clicks and fuse does not blow out no matter what I unplug or plug in.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #23
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok this is really bugging me now, i reconnected the wire back to positive to generater , and decided to disconnect the ground from block of the engine this is ground wire that runs with wire for pickup. i started engine no problem it runs but little rough and when i let off the accelerator pedal it shuts off like it should and fuse does not blow out, what should I do now lol.

I also tested battery before starting got a reading of 12.2 volts and then started engine and at max running speed it was showing 15.6 volts so charging system is working. engine has cleared out now and seams to be running normal . starts right up and shuts down as it should but i am still worried why i had to disconnect that ground from engine to get it to run right. after running for about 10 minutes I shut down and checked for any overheating and all wires felt ok no hot wires . should i just run it or should I keep looking for the needle in haystack. lol
George
Old 02-11-2014, 05:38 PM   #24
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

With the motor ground wire still disconnected, take a meter and check for voltage between the battery ground and the engine(where the ground was connected) while the engine is running. If you get a voltage reading, check to see if there are any wires touching the engine block that could possibly be wearing through and shorting to the engine case. Check around the motor, and the plate that the motor is mounted to.

Does your backup buzzer work or has it been disconnected?
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #25
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

the backup buzzer does work .I will check for voltage from ground to engine in the morning and post what i find Thanks.
George
Old 02-11-2014, 06:02 PM   #26
1989Marathon
Gone Wild

Also check the F2 terminal on the starter/generator to see if the insulator around the stud is in good shape, or has started to melt.
1989Marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #27
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok Thanks I will check that as well and post results.
George
Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 PM   #28
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by beausun View Post
ok I pulled the heavy lead off starter now solenoid just clicks and fuse does not blow out no matter what I unplug or plug in.

I would have expected to still be blowing the fuse, even with that heavy lead disconnected. It appears that the starter/generator ground return current may somehow be finding its way back through the 30 amp fuse, and causing it to blow. Poor grounds have a bad habit of causing unexplainable things to happen in wiring. Something to try would be to temporarily disconnect the ground connection for the lights and make sure the battery negative lead is clean and tight at the battery and at A1 on the starter. Reconnect all wiring and give it a try. Advise results - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:40 AM   #29
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

ok I disconnected lights and put ground back on engine block turned key on and soon as i step on throttle fuse blows.

disconnected ground from engine block and started engine checked for current between ground and engine block and got a reading of over 12 volts, with engine running there is current with engine stopped there is no current.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 AM   #30
beausun
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I checked insulators at F2 and other terminals on generator they all appear to be in good shape and i don't see any other positive wires arround engine block that could be shorting to engine , dose this mean internal short in generator?

not sure what to do next. :(
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha