lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2014, 06:40 AM   #1
93 marathon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default is there a clone motor for 93 marathon

I have a 93 Marathon with the 295cc robins engine. Im looking to swap the engine, and have searched for a while and found alot of options. I just have a few questions before i drop that much money. here we go:

1) is there a bigger motor (15hp or better) that will drop in and go?
2) can i still start it from the pedal?
3) just put a comet clutch on, can i use it?
4) suggestions....

thanks in advanced for any help. ive been reading and learning alot from this site for a couple years now. first post....
93 marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-23-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: is there a clone motor for 93 marathon

If this cart is a 4 cycle engine, then yes you should be able to do the swap fairly easily. However, there may be some fab work involved.

1) is there a bigger motor (15hp or better) that will drop in and go?
Yes, you can go with the Vegas Carts 440 or the new 460 clone. They are high performance clones of the Honda GX390. The 440 is 20hp, and the 460 might be in the 22hp range (not sure yet). These engines don't just "drop in".

2) can i still start it from the pedal?
Yes, you will have to wire the engine into a relay to allow this to happen. There are multiple threads here on this. Mine starts with the pedal, but stops with a kill switch on the dash, no relay needed.

3) just put a comet clutch on, can i use it?
Yes, any aftermarket clutch will work. A Comet 780 seems to be the most popular now for these. About $275.

4) suggestions....
You should call Geoff Warner at Vegas Carts. He can set you up with most everything you need.

Here is what you'll need:
1. Engine
2. Clutch
3. Clutch adapter (if you use your stock clutch)
4. Engine mount plate (may have to fabricate)
5. Belt (custom length)
6. Starter/Gen mount (may have to fabricate)
7. Kill switch (generic on/off type)

There may be cutting, grinding, and welding involved to build the motor mount and the starter/gen bracket. This is not typically a "bolt in kit" for this cart.

My advice, do as much reading as you can on the clone projects here. You'll see what everyone else has done and you can get the idea from there.

slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:11 AM   #3
93 marathon
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the info.
i will look in to all of that. just to be clear, i can start it with the pedal but it will just run and idle until i flip the kill switch, correct? i was really hoping to use a bigger motor and start/stop just like a golf cart engine.
the fabrication aspect is absolutely no problem at all, i have gotten paid to fab. for about 17 years now, so i got that. Engine, im not looking for a dragster, i just want to use it for hunting and riding my little girl around. so i believe the 440 would be more than sufficient....Thanks alot for your help, if you think of anything else i would greatly appreciate it, i hate surprises....
93 marathon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:55 AM   #4
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

You can buy a factory ezgo robin 350 cc. Way easier to install, but only rated at like 13 hp. Probably cost just as much if not more than the Vegas 460 kit thats now out.
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha