lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default $450 for D8 Trojan 105's ??

This is kind of a continuation of another thread, but I thought it would get more attention with it's own thread.

I have a chance to get above batteries with free cables for $450 for my cart I got this past Monday. I feel pretty good about the used batteries (C5) that are on it, but I'm sure this winter will tell the truth about them. If I decided to not go with the above deal, my other option is to get a local battery stores brand for $513 (tax included). Of course they said theirs was just as good as Trojans, but the 105's are $630 thru them. I've been leaning towards not getting them and running my thru the winter and just seeing how they do. Like I said above, I can get the store brand batteries for $63 more when I have to get them.

Here's the deal
My batteries will be 4 years old next April, how much life could they have left ? As I posted on the other thread, they all check between 6.32 and 6.39 with a volt meter.

What would be the down side of buying these and just storing them in my shed until I need them ? I didn't think to ask the guy about the core charge.

I have the extra $$ now but I'm in straight commission sales and with this economy, who knows what the future holds.

Sorry for all the questions so far on the board, but I know nothing and you guys know a lot !

Thanks,
K
hitmanharleyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-24-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: $450 for D8 Trojan 105's ??

Here is the deal. 4 yr old batteries...load test them. With a load tester, not a brick wall and volt meter! Should last anywhere from 1 to 4 years more. You can not store batteries un-used. They will need to be charged and maintained and this will count as usage off of their lifespan.
Search the site and the internet and read all you can about lead acid batteries. There is no shortcut for knowledge learned.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:46 AM   #3
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
There is no shortcut for knowledge learned.
That right there is the reason I ask the questions here !

No question is a dumb question in my opinion.

I feel pretty good about the option of buying the store brand batteries when I need them. They are Ray Glass Battery Source and have grown from one location here to 11 locations in Al.,Ga. and Fl. I think they sell good products.

Ok, I think I've talked myself into passing on the Trojans and buying when I actually need them !
Old 10-24-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

If the batteries you have now have been taken care of correctley you should get another 4 years out of them. I have the Trojan 105's in my 04 Ezgo that came in it. They need to stay charged even if sitting for a long peroid of time.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #5
hitmanharleyk
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Being a newbie to owning a cart and this board, what would you recommend as for as being considered "proper battery maintenance" ?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:21 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Lead acid batteries are simple enopugh but costly damage or shortened life will result from mis-use and incorrect maintainance......
Start educating yourself about proper practices here......http://batteryuniversity.com/ or use the seach feature on this site or goggle around.
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #7
roady89
nimda
Club Car

If you store them you will have to make sure they stay fully charged at all times. Leaving batteries in a discharged condition causes sulfation, which will make it difficult if not impossible to charge.....aka junk batteries.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
Texasworkhorse
Not Yet Wild

Have to consider three trickle chargers at a min 10 bucks each, plus elec to power the 1/2 amp trickle chargers, plus storage, plus routine inspection and maintenance, etc. They would have to be one heck of a deal to go through all that for possibly the next 4 years.

But I also like to tinker around, so wouldn't bother me too much. A solar panel would work also. 30 bucks for 5 watt solar charger from Harbor Freight. Additional 30 bucks cost.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/taf...emnumber=41144
Texasworkhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO