lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
jacket
Not Yet Wild

Default New owner of a neglected U-max

I recently became the owner of two 2004, i think, G23A Umax Medium Duty 1 carts. Both are in need of repair and some TLC. I have a few questions regarding engine kits and the best place to get replacement parts as some are missing.

Cart 1 is currently running but in need of an engine overhaul. I have not done a compression test (wet or dry) but the engine is burning oil. It is the standard 357cc motor. Cart 2 does not have the ignition assembly but all of the engine parts appear to be there. I have not attempted to start this engine and have basically just looked it over to see if anything major was missing. What numbers should I expect for compression? Could anyone recommend a source for a rebuild kit as I assume it will need rings at the minimum?

Both cart 1 and 2 need some front end work, tie rod ends are missing etc. Is there a good source for parts for the umax and/or does anyone have a parts manual or diagram for this model?

I would like to get at least one, hopefully both, of them up and running to drive the kids around and do work around the house. Any suggestions, common mistakes or input is appreciated.

Thanks
jacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-03-2014, 09:07 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: New owner of a neglected U-max

Welcome to BGW! Go to www.yamahagolfcars.com select "service", select "parts manuals", select "golf cars", select "2004", the select "G23a". You will be looking at the factory parts manual. Most the time when a Yamaha engine smokes, it's because of worn oil rings. If you take it apart and hone the cylinder and has no scratch's...just rering, clean up the valves, new gaskets and you good to go. Good luck on your new toy
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
jacket
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the reply and info. I got a chance to test the compression and it seems to be fine. Dry it is registering a little north of 125. The motor still smokes.

The cart ran fine for a while but the engine has been cutting out and running slow while in gear. It runs better in reverse than forward. I think it is geared lower in reverse. Seems to be a carb issue, I have not taken it off and cleaned it yet.

Would the carb cause an issue like this with the motor bogging down? It will run fine in neutral of if you jack up the back end but seems to bog down under any load.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 AM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

125 lbs is very low, should be 155 to 175 lbs at wide open throttle. Carbs are easy to clean. Is there oil in the air box?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:44 AM   #5
jacket
Not Yet Wild

The compression was lower when I first tested the engine, it has went up after running the motor.

There was oil in the airbox when I first got it. It has been cleaned up and the filters replaced. I have only ran the machine for an hour or two since but there has not been anymore that I have seen so far.

I was told by a service department that with this engine, which i believe is the 357f, the fuel pump can cause an issue with gas in the oil and oil in the air box. He said if the fuel pump is not providing enough fuel it will create a vacuum and will suck gas through the system. I tested the fuel pump against another and it did not pump as much gas. Again, I am not sure about this just what I was told.

The fuel filter was very dirty so I changed it and the fuel pump, changed the oil and air filter, basic stuff so far.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha