lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #1
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default MY Melex 212 Before and After

Wow! Looks great! How long did it take you to complete your project? I am currently in the process of converting my MELEX 212 hand me down from electric to gas. I was tired of not holding the charge on the batteries and only able to ride for 5-10min on flat ground. I felt it was more beneficial to fork out the money for a gas conversion. Here is a description of what ive done so far.

1. Removed old axle and electric engine.
2. Installed 1" flex proof solid state axle with 4inch EZ go lift kit and pillow blocks.
3. Installed make shift torsion bars to prevent axle wrap.
4. Installed front suspension CLUB CAR 6inch Jakes lift. (Still working on getting tie rod right for appropriate turn radius.)
5. Installed 10" rims with 20" tires.
6. Installed Predator 420cc engine and waiting for delivery of 40 series torque converter kit from gopowersports.com.

I feel like I am about 80% there. I am still nervous I may fail, but seeing your success gives me hope. It looks like you may have worked smarter than I have.

What back seat did you buy?

Here are a few pictures of my cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6195.jpg (209.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9420.jpg (222.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0091.jpg (211.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0090.jpg (211.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0243.jpg (209.6 KB, 0 views)
MELEXconVERSION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:58 AM   #2
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Default Re: MY Melex 212 Before and After

That second picture is my original engine frame idea. I didn't end up going that route bc i was afraid of overloading the axle with weight. However, your point is spot on about the swing arm and my torsion bars probably won't hack it. I think i can attach some pillow blocks and then use pinion bolts with Lowes metal to make a pivoting swing arm off the axle.

I may draw a picture and post it on here if that is helpful.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:32 AM   #3
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Now you are on a better track. What diameter and grade is is your axle shaft? Also since you will have 2 competing arcs of travel with the springs and the engine cradle you will have to devise a sort of double link or sliding pivot in front of the engine to allow it to move without binding.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #4
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by dundeebarnbuggy View Post
Now you are on a better track. What diameter and grade is is your axle shaft? Also since you will have 2 competing arcs of travel with the springs and the engine cradle you will have to devise a sort of double link or sliding pivot in front of the engine to allow it to move without binding.
I think I am following you. However, at this point I am going to stick with the static engine frame and mount, BUT I like the idea of a swing arm. I plan to get afew more pillow blocks and use pinon bolts to keep the axle and engine true to each other.

The axle is a 1 inch, 54" long AZUSA flex proof axle. Here is a diagram I drew of the swing arm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0365.jpg (103.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

This works well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1837.JPG (50.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2707.JPG (559.9 KB, 0 views)
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:37 PM   #6
dundeebarnbuggy
Gone Wild

Club Car

Exactly what you need! Beautiful work Scotty! The only thing is you will put pillow block bearings instead of U bolts at the axle.
dundeebarnbuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #7
MELEXconVERSION
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

That is a beautiful set up Scotty! Did you make that or purchase it? If I attach that as a swing arm from my axle to my static engine frame, do you think that will solve the issues?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex