lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-23-2021, 09:21 PM   #1
Pall0
Not Yet Wild

Default Layed out & Diesel swapped Western Cart

Hello guys, this is my first post. My coworkers and I are working on a Western Golf & Country Cart. I wasnt going to post the whole story but I figured you guys would like to hear it.

We work at a Restoration/ RestoMod shop. So we accessibility to the shop tools which are a CNC plasma, hand plasma, finger brake, welders etc etc.

It all started with a Wheelchair that we took to a show in Texas that we have a booth in. I gutted all the factory electronics. I bought an ESC (Speed controller) that would work with the wheelchair motors. Then I was able to use an RC controller to make the wheelchair move. We adapted a car seat for comfort and we drove around in an RC wheelchair. It was the funniest thing to drive the wheelchair with nobody on it and see people's reactions. So from this we decided for this upcoming show we would build something else.

At the shop we build alot of trucks with air suspension so we knew it had to be layed out on the ground. We searched offerup and found a Western Golf & Country Cart that caught our eye. We meet up with the guy and payed $170 after winning rock paper scissors because the guy didn't have change lol. It was a hell of a deal for a complete cart only missing batteries.

So then we came up with the idea that we should find a diesel engine so we can roll some coal 🤔.
We found a local equipment junk yard and found a John Deere commercial lawn mower. We were able to make a deal and just buy the engine for $250. But we had to pull it out. So we verified that the engine still spun and we proceeded to flip the lawn mower on its side to unbolt the engine. The owner of the yard was really cool and said if we needed anything else for that engine we can go and get it from him for free.

We put the engine on a stand and found a decent battery and got some diesel and after a few days (after work) we got the engine fired up. Now we decided that we should add a turbo and turn up the fuel but first we should figure out the clutch and getting the engine mounted in the cart.

Attached are pictures of the cart. We bought Monroe max-air shocks and it looks like they are going to work well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211003_113348.jpg (192.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211003_121127.jpg (219.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211008_170023.jpg (212.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211008_170052.jpg (227.1 KB, 0 views)
Pall0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 12:37 AM   #2
Pall0
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Layed out & Diesel swapped Western Cart

We have been making progress on the Western Cart. We knew we needed a gas rear axle so we searched and only found a club car one that we didn't want to use but it was looking to be our only option.
We have a scrap guy that comes and picks up steel from the shops in our area. Well he came by and had a gas yamaha golf cart with a concession stand on it. Besides the flat tires and seat, it was all there. He sold it to us for $80 and we unloaded it from his trailer and began to take it apart. We cut the rear crossmember that has the bushing that holds the engine cradle and cut the brake pedal and gas pedal mounts out. The crossmember was longer than we needed it so we cut it to size with the bushing being centered and welded it on the western cart. With some mock up skinny wheels, we rolled the rear axle with the engine cradle under the body of the golf cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211014_090310.jpg (195.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211019_060542.jpg (209.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211015_141815.jpg (213.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-24-2021, 11:12 PM   #3
Pall0
Not Yet Wild

I'll keep the post short this time.
Ordered a Comet 780 clutch and a few things for the diesel engine (electric fuel pump, fuel filter).

I've been contemplating on narrowing the rear axle to run wider wheels than the ones on the cart currently. After a few measurements on belt placement and engine length. The best thing to do is narrow the rear axle only on the driver side which will move the engine towards the driver side and have it be centered on the engine cradle. I will cut new axle mounts and get the axle centered on the engine cradle and weld them on. Cutting 2.75" off of the driver side axle tube which will give us enough clearance for the wheels to clear the body.

Dropped off the driver side axle shaft to get shortened at a local machine shop. Also dropped off the comet 780 clutch and the 3 cylinder yanmar engine flywheel so he can make an adaptor.

Should have some more progress this week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20211019_062001.jpg (212.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211021_055939.jpg (215.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20211022_092612.jpg (207.6 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-29-2021, 09:07 AM   #4
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Man, such a cool project!

I just found a government diesel water pump on auction for cheap, has me thinking about a diesel swap then I saw your thread... I don't have all the tools and access you do so anything I attempted wouldn't be as awesome but still!

Oh, that picture of the4 Western slammed to the floor looks amazing! What kind of doghouse are you thinking of for the engine? I assume you'll keep the engine hid even when the cart is dropped, or are you planning to make that part of the showpiece?

Cool stuff no matter how you measure it!
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2022, 11:21 PM   #5
Pall0
Not Yet Wild

Here are some updated pictures of the cart at a rushed first phase.
Old 03-15-2022, 06:25 AM   #6
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Way cool !!

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Very cool project! That is LOW!
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Big Block Talk! > Diesel swaps