lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #1
lewiswb
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 star cart reverse issues

Having trouble with reverse on my star cart. Searched the forums, tried various things, no improvement. When I put it in reverse, I hear it click, it starts to go backwards, then stops. Process can be repeated over and over. Runs fine forward. Everything else is fine except I have also lost my turn signals (clicking, but no lights) but that might have happened a while back and I never noticed until this (Yes, I should fix that too, but the reverse thing is the big ticket right now). On the right side of my curtis controller, I see the yellow light flash three times, then four times and repeating that cycle over and over. Ocassionally after I work on it that will stop, but then starts again. Probably trying to tell me something......

Based on reading other people's issues in the forums, I will try a new Omron Snap Action Switch, since it's a cheap item and I am ready to try anything, but otherwise I am stuck. So while I wait for the Omron to get here, any help would be appreciated.
lewiswb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
joeb65
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 2010 star cart reverse issues

Which model curtis controller? Makes a big difference as to where to start l looking. in 1244, 3,4 code commonly is a power issue and usually in the line contactor. In a curtis 1268, 3,4 is a field missing. Meaning a motor, or cable issue often. I don't have all curtis models memorized, so I can't say for certain those are the only 2 options. Google your model number and find a manual for your controller and you can easily find most curtis controller info.
joeb65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:08 PM   #3
joeb65
Not Yet Wild

Try this link for some info.

http://curtisinstruments.com/index.c...eID=1&langid=1
Old 02-03-2017, 01:36 PM   #4
lewiswb
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb65 View Post
Which model curtis controller? Makes a big difference as to where to start l looking. in 1244, 3,4 code commonly is a power issue and usually in the line contactor. In a curtis 1268, 3,4 is a field missing. Meaning a motor, or cable issue often. I don't have all curtis models memorized, so I can't say for certain those are the only 2 options. Google your model number and find a manual for your controller and you can easily find most curtis controller info.
1268-5403
FIELD MISSING
Field winding fault.
1. Motor field wiring loose.
2. Motor field wiring open.
I have already swapped out the solenoid, made no difference. Getting at the motor looks pretty intimidating, I have been using the cart just using forward, if I want to get at the motor I am going to have to move it to a place where it can "sit" permanently while I work on it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg starcart1.jpg (7.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg starcart2.jpg (6.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #5
joeb65
Not Yet Wild

Hard to tell what is going on in the pictures, I can't blow them up. For reference, you should have 5 cable mounts, it has been a while since I worked on one, but I believe this is the order left to right.
F1, Has your first field cable, should be labelled F1, or S1
B-, Has battery negative cable attached to it.
M-, Has your A2 cable attached to it.
B+, has your A1 cable, and battery positive coming from the line contactor
F2, Has your other field cable, may be labelled F2, or S2

With a code 3,4 on this model controller and the fact that it runs forward, but not reverse, most likely your problem is the controller. On the outside chance that there could be something bizarre wrong with the motor or cables that I can't think of, and wanting to make sure I don't lead you in the direction of spending money when you don't have to. I want you to disconnect the battery cable on the battery that runs to your line contactor. Then switch the F2, and F1 cables on the controller. Connect the battery cable back on the battery and try to see if the motor runs in reverse when driving forward. If the motor runs in reverse, your controller is bad. The H-bridge is burned out.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, and feel free to check with others, but the code 3,4 on 1268 is pretty clear. Then tie that in with the fact it goes forward, and that usually eliminates any possibility of it being cable or motor because the power goes through the same fields and cables in forward as reverse, only the controller changes the direction of flow through transistors.
Old 02-04-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

Id look at the motor. Since the cart tries to run in reverse. Motors have had lots of issues. Looks intimidating to get out, but it wil come out through the wheel well with ease, just remove the bottom shock mount bolt.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
joeb65
Not Yet Wild

Why would you remove the motor as your first option for repair? You can run every test you need to run on the motor with the motor in the cart to determine if the motor is an issue. Seriously, if your skill level isn't up to the level of checking the motor out before you go to removing it to send it out for repair. Especially when you don't even know if something is wrong with it, I would suggest taking the entire cart to someone that is trained to work on things like this. You will save a lot of time and most likely money that way.
You didn't even suggest to him to take remove cables from the battery before removing.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:48 PM   #8
lewiswb
Not Yet Wild

Did it. First thing was that the error message went to 2 lights, 1 light. Then when I put the cart in forward mode it ran backwards perfectly. When I put it into reverse, same problem, started to go then did the hiccup thing and stopped, repeatable.

So obviously what I need is a big old double pole double throw (DPDT) switch that just swaps the leads to F1 and F2, obviously cheaper that a new controller.......
or more likely you are going to tell me what a dumb idea that is, so it is either go forward only or open the wallet wide for a new controller?

and this would be a good time to say hey, thanks for all this help, feel like you are on the money diagnosing and solving this thing......
Old 02-28-2017, 08:47 AM   #9
joeb65
Not Yet Wild

Sorry that your controller was bad, at least you know what the issue is at this point. You could definitely go backwards and go to contactors and resistors. You can even go to a different style controller with a dual contactor setup. They are all options. The motor has no clue what is making it go, as long as it gets the power to make it move. A good dual contact setup that will reliably handle the power you need is going to be close to 200, and then you need some type of controller built to handle the ramping of your power and the switching of the contactors, or you need to go to a multi-tap resistor setup to get something besides no movement or full speed setup. These ideas are going to take a lot of rewiring, and setup to get them to work properly. There are many ways to make this motor turn in either direction reliably. However, I truly believe that your easiest and most cost effective is to just replace the original controller. If you want to make a conversion, there are a few that are recommended other places on this site. Alltrax, is one brand that a lot of people have used, and their is information readily available for installing and working with them. I have only ever installed one alltrax controller, and it worked well, but it wasn't as easy as just bolting in an OEM replacement.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:58 AM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

There is always the option of sending your controller to FSIP for repair. I am not a fan of "rebuilt" controllers, but, if I were to go that way, FSIP is the only guys I would use. And they are authorized by Curtis to make repairs to your controller.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Star and Fairplay