lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-19-2017, 10:18 AM   #1
kenneeds
Not Yet Wild

Default Emerge 500 LE2

I have a 2010 E2 with 2400 miles on the clock. I purchased it used. If you need a reason to avoid these carts, here goes with the parts replaced.
Hall effect sensor
wheel cylinder
48v to 12v converter
speed sensor
ADC drive motor, made in China

the drive motor is the latest, as the brushes seized up in the holders.
The symptoms of this failure was shuddering on acceleration and stopping.
The brush seizure caused arcing which burned and pitted the commutator ring in the motor. Found an American manufactured replacement from New York state for the same price as the GB9-4001 sold on the net. The new motor is on its way. I would avoid the china built motors if you can.
kenneeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-19-2017, 10:44 AM   #2
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Default Re: Emerge 500 LE2

I don't know the details of course, but condemning a 7 year old motor with 2400 miles because the brushes seized might be placing the blame on the wrong issue. Generally motor will last and last if taken care of. It's been my experience that people just neglect the annual motor/brush inspection and never clean the brushes and holders so they move as they should.

Not saying you didn't have to spend a lot of money, but could have been avoidable had the previous owners taken better care of the unit.
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
kenneeds
Not Yet Wild

O.K. so lets hear from all those out there that perform annual cleaning and inspection of brushes and holders?
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM   #4
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

you're going to hear crickets.....

It's recommended but we all know it doesn't get done annually. But in 7 years it should have been done a couple times.

Kind of like asking how many change oil in the cars every 3 months or 3000 miles. We all know that's a missed target too.

I was just saying that lack of maintenance tends to miss simple things that end up creating expensive repairs.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

In looking at your posting history, it looks like you buy used golf carts occasionally. I love reworking used carts, but have to know that it can be an expensive and labor intensive proposition, never knowing what's been maintained under all the covers. I have seen people try to pass off surface cleaned items as totally rebuilt, then when taken apart it was obvious not.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
kenneeds
Not Yet Wild

Yes, I buy used as new is out of my budget. I am a golfer, and have owned a gas EZ Go with the Robin engine, a Yamaha G19, battery powered, a Club Car IQ battery powered, and this Tomberlin LE2 500, and I have had more maintenance issues with this cart than all the other carts put together. So that should give you some of my cart ownership history, which covers the past 15 years.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:54 PM   #7
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

How are you with gas vehicles? I am not good with those and always looking for good guys to ask for help from.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:02 PM   #8
kenneeds
Not Yet Wild

I have been maintaining gas engines since I was 10 years old, and I am now 70.
They all work on fuel, air, and ignition.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:59 PM   #9
Golf cart guy
Gone Wild

The Tomberlin motor is weak. Stuck brushes is common, same with the Par Car. They hate to sit.
The Majority of the time, its a remove the motor, clearance the brushes, clean up the commutator and your good to go. On occasion the tomberlin motors will burn the armature windings and a rebuilt motor done right is the answer.
Golf cart guy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
avoid tomberlin emerge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Tomberlin