lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-20-2020, 02:51 PM   #1
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default 97 DS Weird issue

Hey guys I'm working on a 97 DS 48V.
It's one of the weird ones with a F/R rocker switch, V glide, and dynamic braking solenoid. The cart arrived with dead batteries, so after replacing them this is what I'm getting:

Key on in forward or reverse

Solenoid doesn't click when accel is pushed.

Solenoid clicks on and then off when accel pedal is released and returns to home position

Continues same pattern for a few cycles then it will click when it is pushed and released, and then return to just clicking on release.

I'm not sure where to turn for this one, solenoid, controller or otherwise. All connections and wiring are solid and clean.

Thanks for any help!
Rayferd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-20-2020, 04:25 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: 97 DS Weird issue

Which solenoid is clicking? Does the cart have a Tow/Run switch?

I'm pretty sure you should have both solenoids clicking when the pedal is pushed.
The controller gives the negative command for the solenoids to engage. They should be getting power when the key is on. You can check to see if the controller is giving ground by placing voltmeter probes on the small terminals of the solenoid with key On you should see close to 0v indicating voltage is getting through the coil. Press the pedal and voltage should go to near pack voltage indicating the negative has closed and is providing for the solenoid to engage. If it does not engage it's likely the solenoid has failed.
If you do not get any change in voltage when pressing the pedal then the controller is not giving negative command and the other inputs to the controller need to be checked. There are several possibilities for controllers so exactly which controller is in it needs to be verified before we can really go much further than that.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:42 AM   #3
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks Fairtax!
I'll give that a look when I get back to the shop.
I appreciate it!
Old 04-02-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ok so an update on this thing. I thought it had a braking solenoid, but it doesn't. It has an electronic module where the solenoid should be, and no tow run switch. Tested the controller, and it is good. I'm getting 50v on every post on the sol. Banging my head on this one haha
Old 04-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #5
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

How did you test the controller? What's the model number on the controller?

The electronic module is the OBC (On Board Computer) for charging. It should have a few wires coming out of it and a small plug. It could be a triangular 3 pin plug, or a squared 6 pin plug. Which one does it have?
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 11:32 AM   #6
Rayferd
Getting Wild

Club Car

Ill have to get the #, but we sent the controller in to get it tested, and its not the OBC. It's a small module with approx 8-12 pin connector bolted right beside the sol. on the same bracket.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car