lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2020, 12:44 PM   #1
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default need some help and advice

Hello, Iv'e been looking at lithium for the last 4-5 years waiting for my LA batteries to fail. Well its time after 10 years on my set of trojans. Was looking at a set from azlithium But I think They're out of business because of covid. Now I found some on ebay through techdirect. 2 7 cell packs with built in bms. made an offer and got them. Been staring at them down in my garage for about 3 weeks now trying to figure all the promlems I will have to install when I get to my cart in about 5 months. Anyway after reading a post here last night I found out that the bms that it came with is **** and is going to have to be replaced . dont know where to find a good bms and how to replace. any help wood be great. sorry about the long post Tim
tkj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-14-2020, 07:22 AM   #2
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: need some help and advice

Here is a good thread to read through.
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=160302

I went with a more expensive option, as electrical is not my strong suit. It is a ZEVA BMS system. It is about as plug and play as I have seen. In addition, there are quite a few members on here that use it, so there is plenty of advice available.
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #3
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

thanks for the reply,electrical is not my strong point either. I read that post the other night and that is where i think that is where i found out that the bms that it came with wasn't good enough.60 amp discharge wasn't enough for a golf cart. I just looked the one that Sergio used and it was only 60 amp discharge so I dont get it. anyway can you direct me to the web site for .Thanks the bms that you use. Thanks for the help
Old 09-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #4
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Well, if you have two 7 module packs and a POS BMS for each with the 60amp discharge max....that's a problem.

There are a couple of ways you could go with this.

First, you could combine the packs into one 14 module unit. This will require you buying copper bars in order to "tie together" a proper 14 unit module. I did just that as I ran my initial 7 module pack and then upgraded it to a 14 module pack. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/show...9&postcount=13 This link may help you understand what I did. I also had the ZEVA BMS for my install.

Second, you can take a look at some post from Sergio that explains how, using relay's, you can get around the 60amp current "issue" of your existing BMS. I do believe you will need to use ONLY one BMS. I'm not 100% sure that can be done with your existing BMS....but it may be possible.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

yes Dave it came with a bms on each pack,it says 60 amp constant discharge and 120 amp instantanious discharge. (bad spelling) so if I parallel the 2 would that give 120 and 240? which I dont know if thats even enough.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #6
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Also where can I find a Zeva BMS?
Old 09-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The BMS I used is only 20 amps but since none of the discharge current runs through the BMS it really does not matter.

The BMS only needs to have enough current capacity to handle the charging current which typically is less than 20 amps (10 amps for the charger I use).

Combining all 14 modules and using a single BMS is the best option.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Sergio, Both packs are in separate boxes like the one you did. I just hate to have to tear it all apart. I got some thinking to do on this. wish I hadn't put the cart before horse
Old 09-14-2020, 12:12 PM   #9
tkj1
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Does anyone know where I can purchase the busbars to connect my whole pack and where can I purchase a Zeva BMS?
Old 09-14-2020, 01:27 PM   #10
DaveTM
Gone Wild

As for Busbars, I made my own. I have a drill press.....but this could be done with a hand held drill. I got my material here: https://www.mcmaster.com/8964K5-8964K502/ Two 2' long pieces did the trick.....and I just used the existing double-hole busbars for the center terminals. I think there may be places that cost less....and in addition the bars don't need to be 1/8" thick. OTOH....they will likely never get warm from current transfer!!! (A little overkill on my part)

The ZEVA equipment comes from Australia. https://www.zeva.com.au

If your looking to get the ZEVA just ask and I (as others) can tell you what pieces I bought.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha