lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2021, 01:40 PM   #11
Paul_T
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Default Re: Columbia 48V Car Issue

My Columbia motor brush access appears different than that published in the Service Manual & I wonder if it is older or newer or just different. The cart is vintage 2008.

The brushes and their holders look like they can be easily cleaned without disassembling the motor however as yet I have been unable to retract them even a tiny bit even after retracting the spring to its retension pin.

There is normally a cover over this area of the motor which is also pictured. The cover is a plus and a minus in that it allows access but also allows dirt to access the brush area.

I'm wondering if there is an appropriate solvent I could spray on the brush holder to help free them up a bit.

Paul_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2021, 01:55 PM   #12
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

The way you accessed is great for inspection but to do a good job you will want to pull the motor. Then you can pull the armature and access the brushes. You confirmed your brushes are indeed an issue though. With it all on a bench you can use a good brake cleaner on the surface or an electronic cleaner but will want to be sure youre all dry before assembly and powering.

The motor you have is the heavy duty version which is why the open cage, needed for cooling.

Your comm bars look to be in great shape so I think you caught it at a great time!
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:58 PM   #13
Tech Support
How Can I Help?

Here's a quick start on removing the motor, then motor work on the cart.

https://evtechnicalservices.com/blog...nd-maintenance
Tech Support is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 11:58 PM   #14
Paul_T
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

Found Brush problem ---

Once I had the motor removed I could see all brushes and the one hardest to see when the motor was mounted, the one facing the front of the cart with the controller bracket immediately in front of it, had lost its connection to its lead wire. The wire was sticking in the brush but was loose.

My 4 contoller flashes alternated between the 4 flashes sometimes and a steady light other times but the motor would not activate with the accelerator. Also had a strange signal like the reverse signal but it sounded in all R/N/F selector positions but the back up lights only activated in the R position. Will see if that goes away after motor fixed and re-installed.

I was very reluctant to remove the motor but it was easier than I expected. I had some adjustable straps I wound around the motor and cart frame above it and was able to easily lower it to the floor without help.

Here's the pic of the broken brush wire:
Old 11-15-2021, 09:51 AM   #15
Joey G
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

I don't c a pic...because I'm too new to the site maybe? Hope you're making headway.
Joey G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 08:00 PM   #16
Paul_T
Not Yet Wild
Columbia

https://imgur.com/UJhqNx7

https://imgur.com/3N67TxL

https://imgur.com/oPSyS4s

I obviously haven't broken the code to how to post pictures!

First two pictures are of the broken brush wire, probably due to overheating as my brushes were really stuck tight in their respective holders. I'm surprised the cart ran at all.

Pulled motor and did it right installing new brushes after thoroughly cleaning everything. Had minor pitting of communtator bars in a couple of places so had it turned. That was probably overkill but I found a nice local shop that was happy to do it.

Third picture is of my one man motor handling technique which worked great. Two straps over the frame and under the motor. The straps I used have a rachet mechanizm so alternate clicks on each side to lower and raise the motor into position made getting it down and up very easy and controlable.

Columbia Parts were ordered via the link displayed on this forum and they were wonderfull to deal with. I couldn't have done the jop without the service manual and parts manual they make available on their site. Great service and advice!

https://evtechnicalservices.com/

Thank you Tech Support
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Columbia ParCar