lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-25-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
BlackHornet
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default registering these things

i was just wondering what the requirements would be, or if you could even, register these golf carts that go more than 25mph and to be able to drive on roads that are posted more than 35mph
BlackHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: registering these things

Unfortunately, it's an all but impossible task to register these or any cart that goes above 25mph.
Once you hit that 25mph threshold the rules for safety etc are exactly the same as your automobile which is unachievable in any NEV/LSV/Golf Cart.
Believe it or not, in registering an NEV/LSV for street driving with license plates, the biggest stumbling block is acquiring a 17 digit VIN number which is only available from the manufacturer when the cart is built and even then it is restricted to the NEV/LSV standards of 25mph.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 PM   #3
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

Don't tell em it goes 25
Loud & Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:58 PM   #4
BlackHornet
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

haha thats the plan, but i would need something when i got pulled over on a 40mph road for going 35mph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud & Lifted View Post
Don't tell em it goes 25
BlackHornet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:33 PM   #5
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
Unfortunately, it's an all but impossible task to register these or any cart that goes above 25mph.
Once you hit that 25mph threshold the rules for safety etc are exactly the same as your automobile which is unachievable in any NEV/LSV/Golf Cart.
Believe it or not, in registering an NEV/LSV for street driving with license plates, the biggest stumbling block is acquiring a 17 digit VIN number which is only available from the manufacturer when the cart is built and even then it is restricted to the NEV/LSV standards of 25mph.
Hey Doug
On mine the DMV assigned an 8 digit vin: FLAxxxxx

I too thought it was supposed to be 17 but not the case, at least in Florida.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Loud & Lifted
Here for the beer

E-Z-GO

Hey hornet. P.M CCjohn. He has his cart registered. He told me where to get the info but I forgot where he said. TxDot I think.
Loud & Lifted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:07 AM   #7
dcannow
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I just bought a Gem Car in CA and brought it to Washington State. Checked with DMV prior and found no problem. If licensed in CA I didn't even have to get it inspected. Walked right through license but the biggest hassle was Liability Insurance for financial responsibility law. Finally got my company, Allstate, to add to my policy but pay the same rate as an auto in order to furnish evidence of Insurance to State. Never was asked about top speed but max in stock Gem is 25.It can be kicked up to 35 pretty easy. Not allowed on streets with higher than 35 limit. I was told by Wash. DMV "we use the federal NEV guide lines". I was also told that converted golf carts, not prev. licensed, must be inspected and require all auto safety additions (lights, stop & tail, directionals, horn,windshield,wipers, seat belts, side mirrors & emergency (parking) brake). These all come stock on the Gem Car.
The lesson was, if it is a mfg. NEV (like Gem-Ford,etc.), no problem. If it is a converted Golf cart you will be in for a hassle and have to jump through the local/Fed hoops. Good luck.
dcannow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 03:59 AM   #8
oconnorb
Gone Wild

Club Car

It took over 18 months to get my VIN, but I finally did, Virginia is a beast when it comes to getting a VIN and plates.
oconnorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 12:05 PM   #9
jdunmyer
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

A friend has an EZ-Go RXV that she wanted to get street-legal. dcannow outlined the basics:
Quote:
was also told that converted golf carts, not prev. licensed, must be inspected and require all auto safety additions (lights, stop & tail, directionals, horn,windshield,wipers, seat belts, side mirrors & emergency (parking) brake).
This is in Michigan, so I don't know if the requirements are exactly as above, but it was close. The State Police had to inspect it and issue a VIN.
jdunmyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts