lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-25-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
tealsmill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 36V charger info

First off- great site. Many thanks to those responsible.

I am new to this site and to carts in general.

I just got a (free) Club Car whuch I have determined through searching the forums that it is a 36V 92model (ser # A9227 289963).

So far, I have added distilled water to each battery to cover the plates, used an automotive charger to get the voltage up enough for the charger to kick in(which it did), and charged it long enough to see if it was functional (which it was).

My question concerns the charger. Most I have been exposed to have amp meters. The one that came with the cart says it it a Club Car solid state automatic charger. Model 11340. There are 4 LEDs' with "highest battery voltage" marked beside the LEDs, from 43v at the lower, then 44,45 and 46v at the top LED.
There is a "manual stop" button (which does not work) and a "charger on" LED which lights up when the unit is plugged in.

All 4 of the LEDs light up when the charger is connected.

Does this sound normal?
tealsmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-25-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: 36V charger info

try leaving the charger on and keeping an eye on things see if anything changes with the l.e.d,s most C.C. chargers do have an amp meter and i,m not filmilar with that one but if its charging the batteries than??? someone will be along that knows...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
tealsmill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

So far the charger has been going for 18hrs and no change yet- although there is a small amount of water pushed put of several of the batteries.
Will check the individual and the pack voltages after 24hrs.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:39 AM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

C.C. chargers in most cases shut off after 16 hours ........they time out so if its been 18 hours i think its safe for you to check voltage now..........................
Old 07-26-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
tealsmill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Got home from work and the charger was still humming right along after 20+ hrs.
There was a bubbly sound from some of the batteries- also quite a bit of heat.
Checked individually- all checked between 6.4v and 6.6v. The pack total was 36.6v. Not sure if either of these are really high enough.
Took a couple of laps around the house and barely made it back to the shed.
It was barely creeping the last few yards.

SO- I'm suspect of the batts and the charger. I guess I could get hold of another charger (known to work) and see if there's any difference?

Is this the logical 1st step?
Both batteries and chargers are heavy coinage, but at this point I surely don't feel fuzzy about new batts with so many questions about the charger.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

1st step should be the batteries.......test load test, hydrometer test and see what your dealing with but they should have run longer than that with 20 hrs of charge time..........can you post any pics of your carts battery area?............................
Old 07-27-2011, 10:09 AM   #7
tealsmill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Will get pic this afternoon and post it up.

Got to stop by parts store and get a hydrometer.

Question about load testing- never looked at one up close- is there a 6v only, or, are most 12v testers also 6v capable?

I have found a guy @ work that at one time had a charger similar to the one i have described- says his would gradually light up indicating higher voltages as the batteries charged,and would only have one light on at a time, unlike mine that lights up like a Christmas tree.
Old 07-27-2011, 02:24 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

most 12 volt load testers if you look real good will also do 6 volt and they claim 8 volt as well ..................you can also use your digital voltmeter to load test.......................................
Old 07-28-2011, 05:29 AM   #9
tealsmill
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Here are a few pics of the cart and charger.
#1 battery + post is toast. Think I will try post repair if threaded portion is too bad.There is a scary looking splice on the wire coming from the red wire to the post - note it changes to black at the huge tape wad. May be the cause of/result of the burnt post.

Looking at pic #3- I assume the small 2 post terminal should be mounted to the top of the charger plug housing? It's just dangling there now. Also looks like the white wires are very small- much smaller than the white wire you can see coming off the back of the F-R switch. Hack repair?

Found out that previous owner had the cart about 8yrs so the batteries are at least that old. (Trojan 105 mileage master)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 001.jpg (182.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 002.jpg (134.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 003.jpg (120.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 004.jpg (121.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 005.jpg (61.5 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 AM   #10
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

ok heres my take......1stthe charger will not charge the cart as the fuse for the cart is missing so thats #1 replace that fuse...........than get rid of those cables they look like a problem just waiting to happen.......i would put new cables thurout the cart as even the F&R cables don,t look good............scotty sells a real nice set of cables that will do your whole cart and i beleive they are on sale so maybe talk with him..........you stated you were going to try and fix that battery post if you can,t try and get a good used one........at this point anything you do is an improvment...........once done plug charger in and theres a real good chance you,ll be good to go......that may be why all the lights are on with the charger......................but the 1st thing is that fuse in pic. #3 the silver plate with the hotdog shaped hole...........there should be a fuse in there, the wires are there they are the ones hanging connected to that black base red wire going over to F&R .........that and a good set of cables might just be all you need other than that battery....................................
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car