lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #1
dirtbiker186
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 Club Car question, squeeling with new belt

First off I would like to say that I am a new member here and a new owner of a 96 Club Car. This is my first cart.

I have a few questions. When I purchased the cart last week it would squeel upon taking off and would be hesitant to get going, once going it runs great. Every time the cart is stopped, the same procedure would follow, hard to get going along with squeeling.

I bought a new tune up kit and applied both new belts thinking this would solve most of the problems, unfortunately it didn't. The cart is still hesitant on taking off and still makes a loud squeel so nothing has changed.

First question, how tight should the starter belt be? The two bolts that hold the starter to the bracket were both loose when I went to loosing to take the old belt off. When I installed the new belt I tightened these down but the belt itself isn't very tight.

Another thing is the lighter the pressure on the gas pedal the better the cart will take off, when i say light I mean very light, if the pedal is pressed more than 1/4 or 1/2 down the cart will take forever to get going, what could this be?

Finally, after I installed the new belts and found the same problem to still exist I raised the seat and lightly pressed the gas pedal to listen for the squeel, while doing this I noticed the starter belt while the squeeling was happening was not turning, once the belt would start turning is when the cart would start to get power to run, seems strange to me.

Any help with this would be great, thanks in advance for your help.
dirtbiker186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-05-2014, 04:03 PM   #2
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 96 Club Car question, squeeling with new belt

Welcome ! !

Sounds lie your starter belt is not tight enough. It needs to be tight enough

that you cannot turn it by hand on the pulley.

The squealing is coming from the pulley turning but the belt is too loose, and when you barely get on the gas the belt catches up with the pulley and turns and squealing stops.

Hope this helps!!
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 10:45 PM   #3
dirtbiker186
Not Yet Wild

Thank you rose88, I will try to tighten it sometime this weekend. When I googled the best way to tighten the belt I found a thread that stated using a crowbar and prying it under the starter was the best way to tighten, can anyone confirm this for me?
Old 12-05-2014, 10:53 PM   #4
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Yup. I use a BIG screwdriver in lieu of a crowbar, but using something to hold pressure on it to make the belt tight then tightening the generator back up on the mounts is the general idea.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #5
dirtbiker186
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Yup. I use a BIG screwdriver in lieu of a crowbar, but using something to hold pressure on it to make the belt tight then tightening the generator back up on the mounts is the general idea.
Thank you 93.
Old 12-06-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
dirtbiker186
Not Yet Wild

I just went out to tighten belt using a longer screwdriver as a pry and no more squeeling or hesitation on take off. Thank you for your help in getting this resolved. Now I don't have to listen to my wife tell me that I bought a piece of junk, lol.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:15 PM   #7
rose88
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker186 View Post
I just went out to tighten belt using a longer screwdriver as a pry and no more squeeling or hesitation on take off. Thank you for your help in getting this resolved. Now I don't have to listen to my wife tell me that I bought a piece of junk, lol.
Good Deal ! !

Now ride and enjoy.
rose88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car