lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
utmgrad
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Removing the rear axle snap ring?

I have a carryall that needs some brake work. The cables need adjusting and I believe I can handle that part. I pulled the drum off one side and can reach in the back and pull the cable by hand and the arm coming out of the backing plate will move but the shoes don't move at all. I borrowed some angled snap ring pliers to try and remove the rear axle so I can see what's going on. I didn't have any luck getting it off. Is there a trick to this or do I just need to keep trying?
utmgrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-11-2015, 10:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Removing the rear axle snap ring?

It takes a good pair of 90º snap ring pliers, a steady hand, a flashlight, a good eye, and 3 hands - lol
Once you do it a couple of times it's a walk in the park. Remember fluid may pour out when you remove the axle from the tube. Have a container ready
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:17 PM   #3
utmgrad
Gone Wild

Club Car

Awesome. I have two hands, three thumbs and a buddy with some crappy snap ring pliers. I hope the kids don't hear daddy cussing the golf cart.

Thanks for the advice. If the cable is pulling but the shoes aren't moving, is there anything common to look for?
Old 03-12-2015, 06:30 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Brake pedal to shoes is a direct mechanical connection. There is a cable adjustment under the cart. If the lever at the back side of the brake drum is moving but shoes are not contacting the drum, if the cables are adjusted then the shoes may be worn down beyond use. Once the drum is off you can see movement and shoe wear.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Also, make sure the "slidey deal" where the brake lever goes through the backing plate actually slides. These can gunk and rust up and cause the shoes not to expand outward.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
utmgrad
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
Also, make sure the "slidey deal" where the brake lever goes through the backing plate actually slides. These can gunk and rust up and cause the shoes not to expand outward.
First off, thanks for using terminology I can understand.

I believe this is what happened. I got the axle out and looked at everything. The brakes still have plenty of meat on them but everything inside the drum was filthy. The rubber boot on the backing plate is torn and letting mud and water in. (Can it be replaced?) I cleaned everything as good as I could and now the "slidey deal" actually slides. I'm going to get some grease and lube everything the manual says to lube and put it back together. Then I guess I'll adjust the cables and see what happens. Sound like a plan?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #7
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by utmgrad View Post
First off, thanks for using terminology I can understand.

I believe this is what happened. I got the axle out and looked at everything. The brakes still have plenty of meat on them but everything inside the drum was filthy. The rubber boot on the backing plate is torn and letting mud and water in. (Can it be replaced?) I cleaned everything as good as I could and now the "slidey deal" actually slides. I'm going to get some grease and lube everything the manual says to lube and put it back together. Then I guess I'll adjust the cables and see what happens. Sound like a plan?
I'm not even sure what that thing's called, I just know it can really be a PITA if it freezes up.

Sounds like a plan to me, you might try adjusting the shoes out with the adjuster so that they just act like they want to rub, but don't. Then adjust your cables and you should be good to go!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:51 PM   #8
utmgrad
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93yellowclubcar View Post
I'm not even sure what that thing's called, I just know it can really be a PITA if it freezes up.

Sounds like a plan to me, you might try adjusting the shoes out with the adjuster so that they just act like they want to rub, but don't. Then adjust your cables and you should be good to go!
Can you replace the boot on the backing plate? I don't want to have to do this again anytime soon. I set and stared at the little "screwy thingy" for a while before I figured out how everything worked. I finally figured it out just before the shoes popped out of place and tried to fly off. Luckily my finger stopped them.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #9
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The boot can be replaced (and I think it's good idea!), but I'm not sure who sells them. I just did a quick search and came up empty handed, but a bit of deeper googling may turn up some.
Old 03-13-2015, 08:25 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have bought them before. $12 each I think. Nivel or dealer part.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car