lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2009, 08:21 PM   #1
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Default 84 Marathon 2 stroke Ineed help

I'm volunteering my time to help the Fire Company in my town biuld a donated cart into a parade vehicle. I first parade is in less than 1 month so I have to work quick. I got home from work today and the cart was in my driveway. All I know about gassers is add gas and oil, turn on the key and push the throttle . All the help I can get is appreciated greatly. The cart is in good shape and appears to be intact. It sat for 2-3 years and ran before being put into storage. I put a battery in and changed the fuel. I cranked it over and no start. I spray gas into the carb and it started right up. I removed the outlet hose off the pump and started it several times and got no fuel flow. I had an electric fuel pump that is rated at 2-3.5 (Is this enough pressure????)PSI so I hooked that up as a temp fix. The cart starts now but seems to bog out. I'm thinking the carb is gummed up so I will try removing it and clean it up. I checked our sponsors sites for a rebiuld kit but could not find anything; Just new carbs. Do they make rebiuld kits and if so can anyone tell me the model #? Next question is behind the clutch on the axle is a lever that appears to contact the end of the cluch and has a cable running to the carb linkage. What is it for? Last question (for now) can anyone post a link to a sticky for a manual for this? Thanks again for any info. All the $$$ for parts is coming out of my pocket so I really don't want to just start replacing parts.
Fleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-16-2009, 01:33 AM   #2
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 84 Marathon 2 stroke Ineed help

The correct fuel pump is not expensive. The lever you are talking about is part of the governor system. If you look here: http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...iagram-id.html you can find a little info about the newer gassers and in the service manual, you can find info on how to adjust the governor and throttle. It wont cover the cart you are working with but the concept is the same. I would remove the carb and clean it really well. Also eliminate the automatic oil system and mix your fuel at 100:1 to be safe. The bogging out could just be the throttle and governor needing to be adjusted.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:00 AM   #3
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the input. The fuel pump is on the list of things needed but I want to make sure there is nothing major wrong before I order. Thanks
Old 08-16-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

What about the wiring diaghram for is? I saw one ine the resources for an 89 will this work or i the 84 different. I found a few that are disconnected.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:18 PM   #5
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Thanks. Got it running. the carb was all stuffed up. I agree with getting rid of the oil injection but 100:1 sounds really light on the oil. Are you sure about that ratio. Jim
Old 08-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
invalidsession
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleck View Post
Thanks. Got it running. the carb was all stuffed up. I agree with getting rid of the oil injection but 100:1 sounds really light on the oil. Are you sure about that ratio. Jim

I was talking with a many year veteran of EZ-GO cart repairs the other day, he likes to run a 50/1 mix and carries a speare spark plug in case of oiling problems. However, many here support running 100/1. I guess it comes down to the conditions under which the engine runs so i'm playing devils advocate and will run a 75/1 mix in my old girl which sees mostly gentle golf course and farm use.

Chris.
invalidsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #7
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by invalidsession View Post
I was talking with a many year veteran of EZ-GO cart repairs the other day, he likes to run a 50/1 mix and carries a speare spark plug in case of oiling problems. However, many here support running 100/1. I guess it comes down to the conditions under which the engine runs so i'm playing devils advocate and will run a 75/1 mix in my old girl which sees mostly gentle golf course and farm use.

Chris.
I think I'm going to run around the 75:1 ratio and adjust from there. I dump a gallon of 50:1 in to get it running. Smokes a little but I wanted to made sure it was getting oil.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
GoTeeMan
EZ Like Sunday Morning

E-Z-GO

100:1 for golfing, 75:1 for campground duty, 60:1 for off-roading, heavy driving. This is from a veteran EZGO mechanic to me regarding my to old carts, so far so good @ 75:1.
GoTeeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:20 AM   #9
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

the factory recommended ratio was actually 128:1 but that was for golf course use. you are right on with gotees breakdown. good luck!
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:12 PM   #10
Fleck
Gone Crazy

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the help guys. I had to order a new carb and fuel pump. We will she how it runs after that.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO