lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-25-2010, 01:25 AM   #1
mpilot
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart is bogging down bad uphill/in mud

Hey guys. I borrowed my Uncle's EZ Go this weekend and took it out riding. Had a great time but had a quick question for you guys. He recently had the engine rebuilt and we just turned the governor up most of the way but were waiting to break it in a little more before we opened it up all the way. Top end is not the problem though. It has 22 inch tires on it with the lift kit. The question is it normal for it to bog down when going up hill and when it gets into thick mud? The belt seems a little loose to me so I think that may be part of the issue. He wants me to buy the cart but I want to make sure I am not getting a dud of a cart first. Any help/advice will be great. Thanks!
mpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
ruredy
Born Wild

Default Re: Cart is bogging down bad uphill/in mud

Be nice to know the year and model of the cart when guessing about performance issues. They'll slow down when put under a load, not sure bog down is the right wording for it. could very easily be a belt issue.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #3
mpilot
Not Yet Wild

It is a 99. I will explain bogging down in more specific terms for you. The wheels completely stop moving and it sounds like the motor is under tremendous amounts of strain. The motor has a grand total of 5 hours on it since a full rebuild though so I know it is good. I am about at the point the mechanic said I can open the govenor up all the way, and I will probably do that too. This cart seems to slow down even on the road while climbing hills. Granted The hills are steep but they are not in the mountains or anything. Slowing down on pavement to climb hills just did not seem normal to me at all. I may try to get a replacement belt to throw on there and see if it works. I hear the 41" od instaed of the 42" od helps some too. Thanks again for the help.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
big mule
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Belt slipping???
big mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It has a 9hp motor in it.... If you are out in the mud it is likely you have oversized offroad tires on it too? It seems you may be expecting too much out of a golf cart?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #6
mpilot
Not Yet Wild

That was my question....I wasn't sure what all it was set up with, etc. I was with some newer EZGO's though and they went just about everywhere as well as a late 90's/early 2000's yamaha. One EZGO was one of the newer ones with the square headlights built in the front, and the other was an 06 or 07 I think that just came from the dealer. All three of these would get stuck but not nearly as frequent. If this cart for sure has a 9hp motor then it is a no go. Even my grandfather's non lifted Yamaha came with an 11hp.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

WHo knows we can't see the cart?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
mpilot
Not Yet Wild

My Uncle(actually great uncle is almost 80) and he bought it from a dealer and I doubt the engine has been replaced with a larger one, plus I would recognize a v-twin if I saw a big block or something in there seeing I am not a complete idiot and know my fair share about engines, just not golf cart engines. How can I tell what motor came in it or were they all the same? My posts seem to be annoying you as well so if they are I invite you to move along until someone can answer the question without the level of annoyance.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:36 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

The shorter belt will make a world of difference in the low end performance. it effectively changes the gearing ratio of the cvt. a 28deg driven clutch can also accomplish this by not letting the cvt setup progress as fast through it's gearing. Another thing to check is the throttle plate or butterfly or whatever you want to call it. make sure this is going wide open when the pedal is fully depressed
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 AM   #10
shaneomac
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If the motor is bogging, but the cart hardly moving, sounds to me like the clutches may not be shifting properly. If it's revving and not moving, then the belt may be slipping.
shaneomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO