lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery not charging

Here is my problem, the battery on my cart runs out of juice after a little driving. The battery will take a charge fine from a charger but the cart is not recharging it. I get about 6 volts max when I run it connected to the battery and the same when I run of the generator (the wire that feeds to the battery). Does this mean I need a new generator and if so what do they run for a 91 ezgo? Can you buy them rebuilt?
skimaniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
sunking
Gone Wild

Default Re: Battery not charging

First thing to do is determine if it is the battery or alternator. First measure the voltage with the engine off. Then check the voltage with the engine running. When the engine is running the voltage on the battery should go up. IF not the alternator is bad. IF the voltage goes up then it is a battery problem.
sunking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

you'll have a green wire running to your start/gen, unplug it from the v/r and ground it to the frame. start the cart and measure the volts at the battery, if it's around 16v+ then your v/r is bad, if it's still low as before then you have a start/gen issue.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
skimaniac6
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
you'll have a green wire running to your start/gen, unplug it from the v/r and ground it to the frame. start the cart and measure the volts at the battery, if it's around 16v+ then your v/r is bad, if it's still low as before then you have a start/gen issue.
I did that and volts were still low... Guess it's time to find a new generator.
Thanks for the info.
skimaniac6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
ruredy
Born Wild

You may have a shop nearby that can check it/rebuild it, that's what i'd do. they're kinda pricy otherwise
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sometimes they just need new brushes new brushes. Or you can find used ones from bad engines etc. I have one from my 2000 workhorse after the motor swap and sale. I am pretty sure Essenss has one too. Just about everybody who has installed a big block and sold their engine probably has one 4 sale.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO