lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-19-2010, 06:45 PM   #1
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2002 st-350 problems

This is my second post for a new cart I just picked up. It's a 2002 workhorse ST-350 with low hours, but it's been sitting for over a year. I got it from a friend who bought it new and it only has 302 hours on the clock. All that was wrong with it was a broken wire to the solenoid and and a stopped up carb. I fixed the wire and replaced the carb and got it running. The problem now is to get it to run you have to feather the accelerator. Once running it acts like the belt is slipping, it takes a second or two to move off. It also frequently backfires thru the carb. Is it possible that since it was sitting so long that things are gummed up and it will eventually get better or am I looking at replacing parts. So far, I replaced the filters, carb, checked the valves and cleaned all the electrical contacts and grounds.
gwbrehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 PM   #2
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 st-350 problems

Did you drain out the old fuel? Adjust the valves?

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #3
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Fresh fuel and adjusted the valves today. I noticed the fuel pickup tube in the tank is just pushed into the elbow and initially loose. I was wondering if it could be sucking a little air.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:04 PM   #4
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

also make sure your throttle plate is closing all the way, when you're off the peddle.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:29 PM   #5
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

I'll check that tomorrow, I did take some slack out of the throttle cable. I'm fairly certain it was closing, but I'll take a look, thanks
Old 02-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #6
ruredy
Born Wild

I know you said you had replaced the carb, was that with a new one? kinda sounds like the carbs gummed up. maybe some left over crud worked its way in the carb. I'd try mixing some seafoam in the gas, that'll help dissolve some of the crud.
if the belt is under 1 1/8" wide or has cracks in it from dry rotting then i'd replace it, there is a small lag in taking off, the clutches don't work instantly.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:59 AM   #7
gwbrehm
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

The carb was either a fresh rebuild or slightly used aftermarket model, but, running some cleaner through it couldn't hurt. I'm wondering now if it has the right jets for the 11hp engine. I guess I could pull them from the old carb and replace them. I'll take a closer look at the belt this morning. My other cart is a Yamaha and it is alot faster out of the hole, this being my first EZGO I wasn't sure if they had more lag time or were gummed up from sitting so long outside. Thanks again for the advice
Old 02-20-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Checking jets may be a good idea - but I don't think that would cause the backfiring? Sounds like a fuel problem and also a linkage adjustment. I saw where someone posted about making sure the carb butterfly is completely closing. There is a screw on the butterfly lever - My personal feelings is that is does not need to be there. (NOT THE SCREW ON THE TOP OF THE CARB!!!!)

Old 02-20-2010, 10:20 AM   #9
ruredy
Born Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmotortoys View Post
Checking jets may be a good idea - but I don't think that would cause the backfiring? Sounds like a fuel problem and also a linkage adjustment. I saw where someone posted about making sure the carb butterfly is completely closing. There is a screw on the butterfly lever - My personal feelings is that is does not need to be there. (NOT THE SCREW ON THE TOP OF THE CAB!!!!)
what if you don't have a cab on your cart?
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:36 AM   #10
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruredy View Post
what if you don't have a cab on your cart?
OOPS - I mean't carb - LOL

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO