lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM   #1
BeatYourTruck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Questions on G14 steering box play

Hello all....working through my "new to me" G14.

I have a lot of steering play in the center wheel position. It all seems to be inside the steering box and when I watch it while rocking the steering wheel, I can see the idler arm moving up and down in the steering box. This would lead me to believe that the idler is getting up and down movement because the pitman arm is worn or the #10 screw (see link) could be adjusted to take up the slack? Can I snug this bolt up? I am guessing so as I can't see any other reason for it to be there :)

http://www.tntgolfcar.com/yamparts.php?diagramid=77

Just want some input, rather than just assuming! I would further assume that it would need to snug only to the point where it does not cause drag to the steering wheel. Should the box be packed with general purpose grease?

Also, is the little "screw/button" that is shown with the pitman arm (#2) what rides in the worm gear on the steering shaft? Trying to figure out what that does

Thanks for any input.

And yes, it also needs kingpin bushings and probably some wheel bearings soon also....the major slop is in the steering box. Gonna start there and then tackle the bushings and bearings.
BeatYourTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2011, 06:49 PM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Default Re: Questions on G14 steering box play

First take off the steering box cover plate (4 10mm head bolts) pack the steering box with grease and replace the cover. With the front end jacked up, loosen the 10mm jam nut and turn the slotted screw in a 1/4 turn in, check the steering wheel (lock to lock) for any binding (I use my finger, so I can feel any tight spot) once you fell a bind spot, back off the adjusting screw till there isn't any. That will be the best you can do, providing there are no worn parts (pitman pins/worm shaft/ect).
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
BeatYourTruck
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Questions on G14 steering box play

Thanks. I did exactly that today, pulled the cover, packed with grease and adjusted the screw until there was no drag felt on the wheel. Goodbye 90% of my wheel slop! Awesome!

Kingpin bushings are on order and once they are installed, I will set the toe in and she'll be good to go! Thanks for the info.
BeatYourTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha