lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
ricksheltra
Not Yet Wild

Default G-22 fuel problem

my G-22 will not keep running. It will not rev up unless I place hand over top of carb and deprive it of air. then it revs but dosent continue to run.
Bought new fuel pump after I discovered deposits in bowl. (new at this so I didnt know you could repair the fuel pump) I put on the new pump and no fuel was getting to the filter. Put the old pump back on and it pumped fuel to the filter, however would not continue to run unless I covered carb inlet.
I checked the tube going into the tank and blew it out. It seemed clear.
Do I need to prime the system maybe? or perhaps take the float out of the bowl to inspect the jet and remove any dirt. Not sure what to try next.
thanks for any guidance I could get
Sorry listed it as a G16 at first... no wonder the new fuel pump didnt work it was the wrong model ! I will learn I hope thanks to these great people that reply on here thanks so much for this site

Last edited by ricksheltra; 09-13-2011 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: wrong model # stated
ricksheltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2011, 09:09 AM   #2
chompy
Getting Wild

Default Re: G-16 fuel problem

Make sure the pulse line that goes from the engine to the fuel pump is clear. Residue can build up inside it or it can come loose from the tie and pinch under the air filter. The pressures from the engine drive the fuel pump.
chompy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
ricksheltra
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: G-22 fuel problem

Thanks Chompy I will go check that now
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Pretty sure the G16 and G22 fuel pumps are the same so you should be ok with the new pump. The new pump may initially have to be primed for it to work properly as the flapper check valves do not seal well when they are dry. If the pulse line is not your problem, you then may want to pull the carb and give the carb passages a good cleaning and also check the inlet needle and seat for clogs when you have the carb. off. Be sure to check the carb. spacer and gaskets for cracks before you reinstall. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:05 PM   #5
ricksheltra
Not Yet Wild

Ray I will go try that next. The pulse line hose seems clear. I will try and take the carb off. Since i have never done this before I had to take the gas tank out to get to the screws that hold the air filter on. (that was the only way to really inspect the pulse line as it is under the filter housing) Maybe if I had the right tools the gas tank would not have had to come off. At least now more room to get to the carb.
One more problem I noticed was that the line going to the choke is frozen. The actual choke is not it moves. I took it out and plan to order new line.
So I will try the carb now. Thanks Ray and this great forum!
Old 09-13-2011, 05:40 PM   #6
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Not familiar with the G22 layout (mine's a G16) but having to remove the tank to get to the air cleaner is a real bummer !! Make sure the fuel pump pulse line is firmly reattached and clamped to the nipples when you reinstall it. Sometimes you can free up the choke cable by working some penetrating oil into the cable and then work it back and forth. If it frees up, finish off by by applying some oil to it to keep it free. I think you should stick with confirming that the fuel pump is working before you go on to anything else so you know what the real problem is / was. The carb. may actually be ok if your problem is fuel pump. Hope this helps, let us know how it goes - RAY
Old 09-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
ricksheltra
Not Yet Wild

Yeah the tank is a pain and of course it was full...
anyway it has a fairly new filter and I can see the fuel pass through as the engine is firing up. So I assumed the fuel pump was at least doing its job. When I put a new fuel pump in (a G-16 fuel pump actually) it didnt pump any fuel into the filter. So I went back to the old one and fuel appeared again in the filter. Engine will run intermittenly if I keep covering the top of carb. then cuts off. took choke wire off. lever for choke is now movable but it dosent help to hold it on. it seems the plastic that holds the choke assembly had been broken by previous owner...dosent look reparable... I am avoiding the carb till the last resort. its possible the jet needle is clogged because the deposits I found in the bowl were crystalized brown deposits that were pretty thick..
Well again Ray thanks. I am going to work on it again tomorrow. Ill be in touch...
Old 09-13-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would say that you probably have a good fuel pump and your problem lies within the carburetor. A good cleaning should do the trick. Spray gumout, both ways, through all the jets and spray holes. Take the main jet out and blow through that also. I think I would replace the gas filter also. _ RAY
Old 09-15-2011, 05:47 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Never heard of the tank having to come out to remove air filter.
whole problem sounds like your carb is dirty and needs a good cleaning.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
ricksheltra
Not Yet Wild

I just couldnt get a hold of the nuts under the air cleaner to get it off, so I took the two bolts out that hold the tank. Had to be tipped sideways to remove, but I guess if I knew what I was doing I might have been able to get the cleaner off without tank removal.LOL!
The plan is to take the carb off and clean as many of you have reccommended.
Of course murphys law my truck just blew the power steering hose and I thought that might be easy ...not for me ha ha SO I am finishing that today and then back to the cart.
I sure do appreciate this forum. Wish I was good at fixing things so I could contribute...
Thanks for your help
does anyone know of a forum for auto repair. I have a jeep cherokee ltd , 5.2 engine 1997 I am trying to replace the PS pump appreciate the feedback thanks
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha