lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-07-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: possible G1 questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcnaz View Post
No packing.........what you see is what it is. This is a stock 1979 Yamaha muffler.
Cool, I never had one apart, have seen photos of them thought they had some glass in them. Could try to shorten the headpipe on one it should run higher rpm. That muffler is tuned to pretty low rpm powerband, though it hardly has a cone on it.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #12
james2485
Not Yet Wild

Ok well I cleaned my carb and got a new fuel filter and it seems to run ok, Something weird is going on after I burned my muffler I ran it without screwing the little thing that goes into the exhaust pipe back in cause I forgot to. Now I've discovered it won't run with it in there. I have no Idea what that thing is or does. I tried to put a screw in the hole on the exhaust b/c it sounds really annoying. And it won't run with the screw in there either. I mean I like my stuff loud but this thing sounds like dump. I need to find a way to either make it louder and sound better or quieter. Any ideas? also now that I think its running pretty good. I took it on the road tonight and my top speed is about 10-12 mph and when I come to a hill it slows down to like 5-6 is this normal. The hill in my yard I use to not be able to go up now sometimes it putters out and sometimes it will start spinning the tires I don't really mind that but I need this thing to have a little more umph all around.
james2485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 AM   #13
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The fitting in the muffler is a pressure signal to the oil injection pump. It is used to increase the amount of oil injected into the engine at higher RPMs and heavier loads. It sounds like you may have plugged up the muffler with carbon when you barbecued it. Take the muffler off and bang it around a little to see if you can dislodge whatever is plugging things up. Maybe run a coathanger down the intake and tailpipe. Also check the exhaust butterfly while you have the muffler off, and be sure it is opening all the way.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #14
james2485
Not Yet Wild

Is it gonna hurt anything for the time being with that pressure signal not being hooked up. Also how can I get this thing to pull hills a little better and maybe get a little more top speed.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

The engine won't be getting the proper amount of oil at full throttle and full load. Mixing some oil with your gas at a 150:1 ratio until you get this sorted out would be a good idea.

Getting the exhaust cleared out so that little engine can breathe should make a big difference. 2-strokes don't operate well at all with a restricted exhaust. A new air filter element will help the other half of the equation. Engines are air pumps, air has to get in and get out for them to work properly.

Compression is decent, so that should not be an issue.

You still need to clean and lube the clutches so they can shift to give you that power and speed once you get the engine operating properly. Think of your car stuck in second or third gear. You can get it to go, but you don't have low gear for climbing power or high gear for top speed.

Once you get the basics taken care of, we can discuss power springs, lift kits and larger tires.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #16
james2485
Not Yet Wild

how do these things sound if you cut the exhuast pipe where the bend is before it goes in the muffler just having the one straight pipe with it curved to the ground.
What do I need to do to clean and lube the clutches. I feel like I'm looking at chinese when it comes to those.lol
Old 10-08-2011, 07:41 PM   #17
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I think you will find the engine will be too loud running just a straight pipe. Run the engine with no muffler to get an idea of what it will sound like.

To service the secondary clutch, check the sticky up top entitled "Yamaha Torque Kit Instructions". The procedure is the same. Clean and apply a light coat of grease on the bushing inside the moving sheave. Make sure the sheave slides easily on the shaft and doesn't wobble too much (indicating a worn bushing). Inspect the six plastic shoes (three for forward, three for reverse) for wear and replace if needed. Inspect the ramps for excessive wear and burrs.

Which style of primary clutch do you have? The early style in the first pic or the late style in the second pic?
Early style: remove the center bolt.
Late style: remove the phillips screws holding the gold-colored cover on.
This will allow access to the weights for cleaning, inspection and lubrication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4419.jpg (79.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1991.jpg (45.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 PM   #18
james2485
Not Yet Wild

I'm pretty sure I have the second one.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:19 PM   #19
james2485
Not Yet Wild

I read the sticky would I need to replace any parts or am I just cleaning and re greasing.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
james2485
Not Yet Wild

new update I do have the first style of pulley. I didn't feel like tearing into them tonight. So I thought I would work on the muffler again. I pulled it off and could hear stuff rattling around in there. I tried plugging the intake side and blowing my compressor in to the sensor hole and hardly anything came out the out let side very little It was building up some serious pressure. So I decided to drill 5 pretty good size holes in the plate of the muffler that is closest to the gas tank. And now this thing runs like a bat out of hell. It sounds like a **** dirt bike but it sure does run good. I think I might get some big self tapping screws to put in the holes to maybe quiet it down when I actually want to play golf. Not sure I might still clean the clutches but like I said this thing has never been rode hard so they might not be in bad shape. The hill I couldn't climb the other day well I still can't but now this thing does a mad burnout the hole time its rolling back down the hill. Thanks for all of yall's help so far. Next stop paint seats lift and tires I'm so excited I've only got 130 bucks into this thing.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha