lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-17-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Troubleshooting G-16

In making an overall assessment of my cart, I just completed an electrical inspection per Dave's post on "So your Yami won't turn over". That was very useful info, Thanks Dave.
My engine compression is up to 100psi after days of oil treating the cylinder. Looks like an overhaul is inevitable.
Question: Does anyone have a recommendation to someone that rebuilds engines that I can ship mine to?
Next is the clutch.
Question: Can anyone direct me to a post that instructs how to troubleshoot the clutches? I'm trying to find out about what I'm up against before I start spending more money than the cart is worth. Thanks for any info.
Checkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #2
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Troubleshooting G-16

On your low compression issue. Don't overlook your valves as a possible source of low compression. Start by setting the lash at
.004 cold, then check compression again (making sure you have the throttle set at wide open). Next would be to pull the head and clean and lap the valves, then see what you got. This would not be wasted effort as you would probably do this anyway if/when you rebuild. Good luck - RAY
bigstik40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:20 PM   #3
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ray, to my ignorance, what does wide open throttle have to do with checking compression, or is that not what you were referring to? I haven't put the new carb on yet. Should I ?? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:54 PM   #4
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

When checking compression, the throttle valve on the carb. should always be held open so as to not interfere with the air pumping of the engine. If the throttle is left closed, the engine cannot "inhale" air properly on the intake stroke (it actually will pull a vacuum in front of the closed throttle valve). This will result in less air for the engine to compress on the compression stroke, resulting in a lower compression reading. Hope this makes sense, if not I can try again. Just let me know - RAY
Old 10-17-2011, 06:59 PM   #5
bigstik40
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just reread your post and originally I didn't see the part where you said engine has no carb. on it. In that case, wide open throttle does not apply, because that is essentially what you have with no carb. on it. SORRY - RAY
Old 10-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
Checkride
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Ray, thanks for the clarification. I learned something about compression check.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha