lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #1
90t04
Not Yet Wild

Default Old Yamaha, wont start. Are these the right parts?

Hey all, Im new to the golf cart stuff, but I am a mechanic by profession. Just have a few questions I cant seem to find the answer to.

I'm trying to get my father in laws Yamaha running. Its been sitting for a couple years or so out in the Arizona desert. I got all the bad gas out of it and fixed a few obvious problems. Pack rats chewed some wiring, someone had attached the rear end vent to the oil tank vent with a section of hose.

Anyway it turns over normally but I am getting no fire. I found that there is very little flow from the fuel pump. After searching the forum here I read about the crank seals going bad, and not giving enough pulse to drive the pump.

So I pressurized the cylinder and blocked off the intake and exhaust and can hear air escaping behind the fan. I am guessing the seals about gone.

So to get to the point heres my questions: I cant seem to find any identifying numbers on the cart. I am guessing its a g1 by the age. I found this sticky but it didnt reveal any numbers.

I found this website:
https://www.eastcoastcarts.com/catal...Carts/3945.htm

which looks like they have what I need but I just want to be sure.

Also, is there anything else that I should do while I am in there? I checked the cylinder compression and got 120 dry. (Didn't try it with oil.) Sound ok?

Here is a photo of the cart in its current dismantled state:

Thanks in advance for your help
90t04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: Old Yamaha, wont start. Are these the right parts?

Really quickly --- G1 is a 2-cycle. If yours is 2-cycle Yamaha it is a G1. G2, G9, G8 all have the gas tank on the passenger side so it isn't one of those models. These are the only ones I've had experience with, so go from there.
I'm sure others will be of more help. Have fun!
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
90t04
Not Yet Wild

cool that helps. Its definitely a 2 stroke so must be a g1
Old 11-06-2011, 09:51 PM   #4
TROUBADOUR
Gone Wild

Yamaha

There you go. Good luck and have fun. This forum is a wealth of ideas, help and humor. Just don't let a little razzin' get to ya. :-)
TROUBADOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:56 AM   #5
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

One last spot to check for a serial number- Early carts had the number stamped on the frame member that runs between the rear shock upper mounts.

You have a G1 and the crank seals are the same for all G1's.

Link to the procedures:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...tting-old.html

The procedure is not hard, you were able to figure out how to pressurize the crankcase and check the seals, you shouldn't have any problems doing this.

120 PSI compression is excellent. Oil tank vent line should go to the rear end. Don't forget to fully disassemble the carb and clean it thoroughly. Check for worn throttle shaft bushings.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #6
90t04
Not Yet Wild

GMB74 thanks for the advise, I'll take another look for that serial.

Good to know about the vent hoses! I thought it was someones fix.

Well I got it down to the fan and the starter pulley tonight so looks like I'll need some pullers. I'll read that procedure and see whats next.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
GMB74
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You should do the clutch side seal while you are in there, part # 3946. You will also need a clutch puller #5909. The flywheel can be pulled with a standard steering wheel puller and bolts.
GMB74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha