lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2009, 04:28 PM   #1
burnshot
Not Yet Wild

Default 1987 HD Columbia

Okay let me first say I know nothing about mecahanics, and no one in my area fixs golf carts. So I guess its up to me haha.

Alright I have a 1987 Columbia four wheel, bought it in June of 08', took it for two nine hole rounds of golf. And heard a knocking sound from the inside of the cart (Probably engine).

When we first took it for a test drive we had to choke it when first moving. The cart slowly got worse to where we had to choke it to move it, then to where the engine would only rev when the accelerator was down, and then totally died to where it wouldn't rev, unless it had been sitting awhile.
I also remember him saying he hadn't had to change the oil because it wasn't burning oil

We therefore had a mechanic test the spark, and we did have spark.
We poured gasoline/oil (?) down the spark plug and it made no difference,
we replaced the fuel lines, and fuel pump. (Fuel pump did not suck).
We cleaned the air filter
removed the exhaust pipe
recharged the battery
changed oil

We were going to test the timing but there was no need because there wasn't anyway for the timing to be off.
A mechanic diagnosed the problem as possibly a piston problem.

Not sure what to do next, please give me some beginer directions!

Addition -
We have also been hearing a whine like sound (possibly the starter) when we touch the gas pedal.

Thanks.
burnshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-15-2009, 09:14 PM   #2
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: 1987 HD Columbia

Sounds like you ran it out of oil and ruined the top end and the engine is locked up. Did you get the drive belt slippage repaired? Were you mixing oil in the gas or using the oil injector tank. Was the oil tank empty?
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 PM   #3
burnshot
Not Yet Wild

oil injector, and no its about half full. I have this posted on the other forum, i see your name has posted on both forums. And im not sure how to repair the slippage. Do I need a new belt?
burnshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
tew45
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Make sure the engine will turn by hand. If the engine is free check the clutch and see if when the engine turns a higher RPM the clutch pushes in on the belt. If the clutch is not moving in ward at higher RPM the clutch is at fault and will have to be disassembled and repaired. You really should get a repair manual and study it!
tew45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas golf carts > Gas Harley Davidson