lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-13-2021, 07:45 PM   #1
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Lithium time for my Drive2

I spent a little time on the phone today with Don @ Plowman's. My cart is a mostly stock 2017 Drive2 and I don't need extreme performance or speed :)

Don said I'd be happy with the Allied Battery. I have two of the 30 amp and a Plowman's charger on the way. The original Trojan T875 are tired and I'll be happy to not have to do the battery maintenance.
richj11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-13-2021, 08:32 PM   #2
SouthCo
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Lithium time for my Drive2

Congrats on the upgrade. Going lithium was the best thing I did to the ‘01 DS I used to own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 05:39 PM   #3
davjohn28
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I am strongly considering upgrading a few things on my 2016 G29. im still on all factory electrical.

looking at Lithium upgrade, engine upgrade to gain a little speed ( 25ish ) is good for me, and probably a 500amp controller while at it.

Let me know how the lithium works out... its going to take me a while to convince the wife to let me spend that much money at one time on cart!

Cart has 6" lift with 23" all terrain tires and we ride it quite a few miles a week through the neighborhood and its starting to get a little tired as well.
davjohn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 06:34 PM   #4
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I did do a 3" lift with 20" tires. Lithium seems the natural progression. I dropped a couple 12 volts in my motorhome to replace the original deep cycles in there. GAME changer!

I did receive a follow up call from Don @ Plowman's today. Allied is currently Out Of Stock on the 48V 30 A batteries. Of course, Don has some in stock. The only down side is I'll pay shipping now vice them drop-shipping from Allied. Plowman's price is still less than buying directly from Allied, so Worth it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davjohn28 View Post

Let me know how the lithium works out... its going to take me a while to convince the wife to let me spend that much money at one time on cart!
Old 07-21-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Got me some lithium love in a shipment from Plowman's today!

42D9D950-9557-44B3-AC87-DFEB3CEDAE90.jpg
Old 08-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #6
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Well, I had a little delay to handle some family business. Got the Trojans removed today, cleaned up the battery tray and placed the Allied's in place.

I'm reading 52.4 volts. Need to find a voltage chart for these 48V lithiums.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:53 AM   #7
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I emailed Allied Battery, here is what they replied:

"I don't have a chart as it is relative percentage and voltage. Depending on the customers upgrades and aftermarket parts, that is variable.
The max voltage is about 55V and the minimum voltage is about 51V.
I hope this will help you understand the limits of the battery."
Old 08-09-2021, 05:31 PM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Hi,

A normal 48v LiFePO4 is made up with 16 cells, which gives a max charging voltage of 58.4v (3.65v/cell) but from the information you provided above, it seems that these Allied batteries are only using 15 cells, giving a maximum charge voltage of 54.8v.

Your resting voltage of 52.4 indicates a filly charged 15 cell battery or a 50% charged 16 cell battery. Lithium batteries are best stored and shipped at 50% capacity so there’s a discrepancy there.

If it’s a 15 cell battery You’ll need a lithium charger (CC/CV power supply) with a CV setting of 54.8v. If it’s a 16 cell battery you’ll need a 58.4v CV setting.

Allied should be able to tell you if you need a 15 cell charger or a 16 cell charger.

The discharge curve for lithium is very flat so you cannot accurately predict state of charge with voltage, you’ll need a coloumb counting SOC meter, hence the no published voltage chart. This is the one I use and recommend.

https://www.renogy.com/500a-battery-...xoC0UYQAvD_BwE

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2021, 06:29 PM   #9
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for taking the time for your very detailed response!

I never thought about using that type of meter on the cart, but do have something similar (Victron BMV712) in my motorhome. I don't think I'm THAT concerned about the battery status, really just wanted a swag so I don't inadvertently get stranded somewhere, but I'm rarely more than 1 mile from home. I'll consider your recommendation.

My charger is the Plowmans in-house LiFePO4 charger. I just went and plugged it in and we'll see what it does.

4C7C2586-9DE5-4872-9FF1-2085F9AFAD9A_1_201_a.jpg

Thanks, Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi,

A normal 48v LiFePO4 is made up with 16 cells, which gives a max charging voltage of 58.4v (3.65v/cell) but from the information you provided above, it seems that these Allied batteries are only using 15 cells, giving a maximum charge voltage of 54.8v.

Your resting voltage of 52.4 indicates a filly charged 15 cell battery or a 50% charged 16 cell battery. Lithium batteries are best stored and shipped at 50% capacity so there’s a discrepancy there.

If it’s a 15 cell battery You’ll need a lithium charger (CC/CV power supply) with a CV setting of 54.8v. If it’s a 16 cell battery you’ll need a 58.4v CV setting.

Allied should be able to tell you if you need a 15 cell charger or a 16 cell charger.

The discharge curve for lithium is very flat so you cannot accurately predict state of charge with voltage, you’ll need a coloumb counting SOC meter, hence the no published voltage chart. This is the one I use and recommend.

https://www.renogy.com/500a-battery-...xoC0UYQAvD_BwE

Cheers
Pat.
Old 08-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #10
richj11
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks again Pat. I ordered the Renogy battery monitor, should be here and installed in a couple days. Got a full charge and read 58.4 V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Hi,

A normal 48v LiFePO4 is made up with 16 cells, which gives a max charging voltage of 58.4v

Cheers
Pat.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha > Lithium Yamaha