lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 83 EZGO Drive Clutch Replacement

Hello all! I've searched around and found alot of GREAT information on replacing clutches....but, I just have one question maybe you can help me with:

Do I have to remove the engine on my 1983 Marathon to replace the drive clutch? It sure does look like I do! The rear axle looks to be in the way.

Thanks in advance!
Race Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 83 EZGO Drive Clutch Replacement

TTT!
Old 08-14-2009, 08:14 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I dunno about your cart but on some, depending upon how they sit, you can remove the clutch with the engine in the cart..... You just have to look and see. You will need room to remove the bolt and install the puller, and then about 3-4" of room to slide the clutch off.... One cart I had require you to drop the leaf spring mount. I would rather do that than remove the engine... Hopefully you have access to air tools to run that puller in.... Just give it a go!
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
fixerupper
Not Yet Wild

I just took my clutch out of 85 Ezgo gas, just removed the bottom 2 motor mount bolts on the passenger side and loosened the top two. Then just loosened the one mount bolt on the drivers side. I was then able to tip the engine far enough to get the clutch out.
fixerupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:02 PM   #5
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks for the responses! I FINALLY received my clutch after a 2 month wait. I am going to try to install this weekend. Will let you know how it goes.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The clutch is in! I wound up pulling the motor out of the cart. I'm glad I did. The clutch was basically "welded" to the crankshaft. I almost striped the inner threads of the clutch (where the clutch puller screws into) at first (I was using a long pipe on a 1/2" drive ratchet/socket). I'm glad I stopped when I did. At this point, I didn't think the clutch was ever going to come off. I'm thinking it has been on there for 20+ years!

I read up some more on the replacement and found most people use PB Blaster. So I ran to the local Home Depot and bought a can of PB blaster penetrating catalyst. The stuff is GREAT! By having the motor out, I was able to soak the crankshaft with PB blaster. I let it sit for a few days with PB blaster soaking into the clutch/crankshaft interface. With a couple of raps with a rubber mallet and a few more turns of the puller, the clutch slid right off!

I found the inner diameter of the crankshaft (where the bolt threads into) stripped. I found this unfortunately, when I was test fitting the bolt that came with the clutch, which ruined the first few threads of the bolt. I had to run out and buy a tap and die. If anyone has to do this, it's a 7/16 inch, fine thread. I ran the tap into the crankshaft and used the die to clean up the bolt. Worked great.

I cleaned up the motor with some simple green and a power washer and have begun reassembly. The job is not complete, but the engine is back in and both clutches are on. I hope to have it running by this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_4241.jpg (146.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4242.jpg (106.7 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4244.jpg (69.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 100_4276.jpg (116.9 KB, 69 views)
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #7
Monsterezgokid
Kid no more!!

E-Z-GO

Wow, new drive clutch, looks like a new driven clutch, and carb.. Your cart's getting the royal treatment

Now for another 27 years of enjoyment!
Monsterezgokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 05:28 PM   #8
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yup......new drive clutch and new driven clutch. The carb was replaced by the previous owner.

After getting the motor back in, I discovered most of the wires going to/from the starter/generator were damaged. A few of them had melted insulation in places (where they got up against the exhaust). The eyelet broke on one of them, so I ordered all new cables. They came in yesterday and I installed them today.

Put it up on blocks and tried to fire her up! After some initial panic when it didn't fire up right away(due to the fuel line being dry?) and a minor throttle cable adjustment, it seems to run smooth with the new clutches. Next up....remove the oiler so I can premix the gas, then on to the "road test"!
Old 11-24-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Why remove the oiler if it works? they are better than sliced bread in my book.

Now the food(oiler) fight begins.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:23 PM   #10
Race Chaser
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOmsman View Post
Why remove the oiler if it works? they are better than sliced bread in my book.

Now the food(oiler) fight begins.
The problem is, I don't believe the oiler is working. When I removed the engine I noticed the cable from the oiler was not connected to the carb. This was most likely done when the previous owner replaced the carb. After seeing some of his "handywork", I beleive he may not have known as much as he thought he did! (not that I am any kind of golf cart expert).

When I put the engine back in, I ran some rudimentary tests to see if i could determine if the pump was pumping oil and I don't think it is. So.......I've decided to play it safe and just premix. I've already got WAY too much money invested in this cart. I don't need to invest any more (right now anyway )
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO