lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM   #1
knovak
Not Yet Wild

Default 94 Medalist charger wiring /activation circuit

Having trouble with a new 94 medalist cart. Looked at wiring diagrams and have found 2 versions.

1 showns + and - running from the charger receptacle to the solenoid and controller.
The other shows the wires running from the charger receptacle to the + and - directly to the batteries and then on to the solenoid and controller.

Can anyone verify and does it actually make a difference?

Mine is going directly to the solenoid and controller but I am having trouble and want to verify wiring connections.

Thanks
please let me know if any other info would be helpful.
knovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 94 Medalist charger wiring /activation circuit

EZGO wired the charge receptacle to the battery pack both of the two ways you mentioned in the Medalist and either way works.

I believe they wired the receptacle wires directly to the main + and - terminals on the battery pack and added a reed switch to the solenoid activation circuit, in 1996 and later Medalist carts, but I'm not sure.

--------
You mentioned you are having trouble, but didn't mention what the trouble was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 949536v.jpg (59.3 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #3
knovak
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response.

I don't have a picture yet but the prev owner has (had) the cart running buy using a light switch from the + battery to the + side of the solenoid. Flip the light switch, the solenoid clicks and cart would run. No keyswitch in machine. The machine ran ok for a whwile then shorter and shorter times until now nothing. I am trying to get the wiring back to the way it should be and operating correctly.

I can flip the light switch and the solenoid will click but the cart does not move in either direction.

Pushing on the pedal a small click is heard by the floorswitch. I initially thought that was bad.

I do not think there is or was a reed switch. The previous owner put a 3 prong on the charger outlet and a household outlet on the cart. Just plugs together- black and white wires go to the solenoid and controller which appears correct based on one of the schematics.

The batteries bubble when the charger is connected so I assume (?) it is working correctly to charge. The meter will drop down to about 2 after some time.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:06 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the previous owner bypassed the entire solenoid activation circuit with a light switch.

Normally, you have to have the a direction selected, the key ON and the pedal pushed to get the solenoid to click.

However, if the solenoid is clicking, that isn't what is keeping the cart from moving.

The cart running for progressively shorter periods of time, sounds like a battery issue.
What is the pack voltage?
Old 06-20-2015, 06:47 PM   #5
knovak
Not Yet Wild

6.3 each. 37.7 pack

I checked the micro switch for foot pedal and it seems ok.
Wiring seems to follow schematic.
I'm stumped.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:45 PM   #6
knovak
Not Yet Wild

I checked voltage at black and white wire on controller plug. Both terminals were between 16 and 17 volts regardless of pedal position. Could this be a bad its?
Old 06-21-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by knovak View Post
I checked voltage at black and white wire on controller plug. Both terminals were between 16 and 17 volts regardless of pedal position. Could this be a bad its?
Could also be a bad controller.

The black wire (Pin-2) on the controller is the voltage source for the ITS sensor and when the solenoid is energized, it should read slightly above 14V, but less than 15V. (Voltmeter's negative test lead attached to battery pack's main negative terminal.)

You are getting more than 15V, so separate the four-pin in-line connector that connects the carts wiring harness to the cable from the pedal box.

If your solenoid clicks when the light switch is turn on, proceed, If it doesn't connect a jumper wire from the battery pack's main Positive terminal to the
solenoid's small terminal with the red wires connected to it, which will energize the solenoid.

If the voltage on the black wire is still above 15V, either the controller is bad, or there is a partial short between the pins in the in-line connector.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
knovak
Not Yet Wild

I have 37.7 on the red. I have only 1.7 on the black and white. The solenoid clicks when I flip the light switch.
The 1.7 is measured at the connector and is the same whether it is attached to the controller or disconnected. Pushing on the pedal does not change the reading.

I appreciate your efforts. I am hoping it is the sensor or the controller and would rather not have to replace both to resolve the issue.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Did you try disconnecting the in-line connector. It is the one in front on the battery pack where the wire go through the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ITS in-line plug.JPG (138.6 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by JohnnieB; 06-21-2015 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: added attachment
Old 06-21-2015, 12:14 PM   #10
knovak
Not Yet Wild

No just unplugged it though. Black at the controller plug is now .25 and white is 0. Solenoid clicked when light switch turned on before measuring.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO