lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-13-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
tsip85
Not Yet Wild

Default Charger problem, or something else?

If this has been beaten to death, I apologize. I'm new to the forums and have tried to read as much as possible to find the answer to my question before posting.

I recently bought a '97 DS from a neighbor. When I bought it, he told me there was something wrong with the charger (Powerdrive) and had ordered a new 15amp circuit breaker and relay. I installed both parts, but the charger would trip the breaker as soon as I plugged it in. After reading, I decided it might be the heatsink, so I ordered and replaced that part as well. After replacing all three parts, the charger would now turn on, cycle (turn on for a few seconds, go to 0, then back up to about 15-17) and run for about 2-3 minutes before the breaker would trip. Yesterday, my wife plugged it in and it actually charged for 2.5-3 hours before finally tripping the breaker. I tried a few more times after that with the same result of the breaker tripping after 2 minutes.

So, does this sound like a charger problem? I've read that with most Powerdrive charger problems, the solution is usually to replace one (or all 3) of the parts I have just replaced. It doesn't seem to be the OBC as it is turning the charger on as I presume it should. Any ideas and suggestions is greatly appreciated.
tsip85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-13-2019, 02:13 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Charger problem, or something else?

Could be a loose connection on the breaker terminals causing some heat, or the breaker is faulty. Make sure the crimp connectors are clean and tight on the breaker pins.
The long flat breakers do not usually work well if they've been tripped sometimes only once they can be damaged, and will then trip repeatedly after that, especially if they're low quality (made in china).

It is not typically required to replace everything, but sometimes it's a good idea if there are obvious problems such as burned or corroded terminals.

Low battery voltage due to age or abuse/neglect/poor maintenance can also cause the charger breaker to trip. Check the pack voltage before trying to charge, and then while the charger is running and post what the voltage is here. Also be sure to check each individual battery to see if one or more are significantly lower than the rest.

Also check the cable connections on all of the batteries. Make sure they are all free of corrosion, and all are Clean and Tight.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:44 AM   #3
tsip85
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Charger problem, or something else?

Thanks for the info, Fairtax. That will give me areas to look. As an update, which is "good news," but no help to me at all... I was waiting for the weekend to take another look and see if I could find bad connections. I haven't touched the charger or the cart since Monday. My wife, on a whim, decided to plug the cart to the charger yesterday afternoon just to see if it would stay on longer than the regular 2 minutes. Well, it was still going when I left for work this morning. The needle was down to around 7, so I assume that means it was functioning as it should. When I went to bed last night, I checked it and it was pointing around 12 or so. Either I don't know how to insert a plug, or my wife just has some sort of magic touch. But the fact that it worked this time, ran for 2-3 hours at one point over the past weekend, and "usually" kicks off after 2-3 minutes tells me that there must be a loose connection somewhere. Now I just have to find it. If anyone has any other ideas as to where to look, I'm all ears and appreciate the help!
tsip85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car