lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2016, 05:02 PM   #1
wayne1776
Not Yet Wild

Default Jerky start after upgrades!

I had the power kit(driven and drive clutch springs), extreme duty belt, 8:1 gears, and timing advance key installed. Now the clutch doesnt engage untill a higher rpm and has a pretty jerky start. Is this normal? Also I feel there is less torque. I thought the power kit was supposed to help with that? I have a 2002 gas DS and the parts were purchased from Cart Parts Plus.
wayne1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-26-2016, 04:03 PM   #2
wayne1776
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Jerky start after upgrades!

Anybody?
Old 04-26-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Is the belt riding all the way up in the drive clutch and sinking down into the driven clutch? You may just need to adjust the distance between the two clutches. On my '87 I have elongated holes in the motor mount, I imagine your '02 has them too.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 07:04 AM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The engine is thru-bolted to the Unitized transaxle Springbok... there isn't any adjustment! But I think your on the right track!

~The 8:1 high speed gears will rob your cart of torque (which you already knew) and in combination with larger tires will only make it worse.
~The torque spring in the driven clutch (rear) helps a little bit, but not a lot!
~The 300 rpm spring in the drive clutch (front) is supposed to help the 9.5 hp engine rev a little higher to get you moving from a stop,
~The timing advance key revs the engine from stop to full throttle faster, and helps only a little bit with the loss of torque.

On to the drive belt...
The belt that comes with the kit is a #7188 which is just a tad shorter then the stock size #7189 to help improve torque,
which in turn, may give you the initial jerkiness your experiencing.
(Granted, the HD drive belt, no matter which one, will still bite better then stock belts!)

You could check with CPP to see if they'll exchange the #7188 for a #7189...
if not? then you'll just have to get used to the initial jerkiness, or buy the #7189.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 11:11 AM   #5
wayne1776
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the advice. I can live with the jerky start, it just the loud clink i hear everytime, that doesnt sound right. I guess i will be swapping out the 8:1 gears and putting th stock ones back in. There is too much loss of torque for my liking.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car