lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 PM   #1
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Default '94 Carryall motor won't engage

hello! This is my first post as I am new to golf carts. I bought a '94 Clubcar Carryall last year and we've slowly been fixing it up. I'm having an issue at the moment with the motor engaging. It has been temperamental from day one, but now it's down right stubborn. When I press the gas pedal the motor sounds like it's idling/cranking, but won't turn over. Its getting to the point where I need to press the pedal several times before it will start to crank and sometimes I need to push the pedal to the floor and let off slowly until the engine starts to idol. When I say Idol it's more like the engine is trying to turn over, but can't.

I just recently had the cart serviced and have new fuel filters and plug. As the engine continue to crank I can smell fuel. It's getting gas, but won't fire. If anyone can steer me in the right direction It would be greatly appreciated.
6eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-23-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
dianna.zurbrigge
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '94 Carryall motor won't engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6eight View Post
hello! This is my first post as I am new to golf carts. I bought a '94 Clubcar Carryall last year and we've slowly been fixing it up. I'm having an issue at the moment with the motor engaging. It has been temperamental from day one, but now it's down right stubborn. When I press the gas pedal the motor sounds like it's idling/cranking, but won't turn over. Its getting to the point where I need to press the pedal several times before it will start to crank and sometimes I need to push the pedal to the floor and let off slowly until the engine starts to idol. When I say Idol it's more like the engine is trying to turn over, but can't.

I just recently had the cart serviced and have new fuel filters and plug. As the engine continue to crank I can smell fuel. It's getting gas, but won't fire. If anyone can steer me in the right direction It would be greatly appreciated.
I have the same 94 carryall which had same problem. It began with gas fumes eventually I noticed it seemed it did this until pressure was off. Then there eas no gas getting thru carburetor at all to fire on. When I took the breather hose off gas poured out. The air filter saturated.
Replaced the carburetor end of problem. I tried cleaning carburetor to no avail but a new one totally fixed problem.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Tapatalk
dianna.zurbrigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the response. Based on the age and the conditions it was in (Dusty farm) I think a new carburetor might be the way to go. I was curious about the micro switches and igniter as well, but they are inexpensive enough that it might be worth replacing at the same time..

I haven't looked yet but are there some good videos or instructions on replacing the carburetor? I like to tinker, but in no way am I a mechanic. Oil changing is about all I got. If this would be a repair better left to the pros please let me know!

Thanks again!
Old 03-25-2018, 03:20 PM   #4
6eight
Not Yet Wild

I was messing with the cart a bit today mainly to see what engine I had so I could order a few parts. The fuel filters were recently replaced and I noticed the filter on the line from the tank to the pump visible had gas in it. I also noticed the second filter doesn't have fuel in it. I'm not sure if this is a sign of another issue. Is there a way to check and see if the fuel filter is working?
Old 03-25-2018, 03:40 PM   #5
dianna.zurbrigge
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6eight View Post
I was messing with the cart a bit today mainly to see what engine I had so I could order a few parts. The fuel filters were recently replaced and I noticed the filter on the line from the tank to the pump visible had gas in it. I also noticed the second filter doesn't have fuel in it. I'm not sure if this is a sign of another issue. Is there a way to check and see if the fuel filter is working?
Disconnect from carburetor and see if fuel runs out. Turn key on to see if the pump is pumping it through the filter. They're cheap I would replace them anyway.There is a possibility your fuel pump isnt working. Sorry I thought you had all new ones when suggesting carburetor

dianna.zurbrigge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianna.zurbrigge View Post
Disconnect from carburetor and see if fuel runs out. Turn key on to see if the pump is pumping it through the filter. They're cheap I would replace them anyway.There is a possibility your fuel pump isnt working. Sorry I thought you had all new ones when suggesting carburetor

The fuel filters are all new. The cart was serviced no more then 2 weeks ago. My daughter and I drove it several days once we got it back without issue. After looking up the prices I think it's going to be best to go ahead and replace the fuel pump and carb. The cart wasn't very well taken care of for the first 20 years of it's life.
Old 03-25-2018, 04:32 PM   #7
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Are you getting fire? The filters can fool you as to how much is actually going through.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 04:50 PM   #8
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Are you getting fire? The filters can fool you as to how much is actually going through.
Pardon my ignorance, but how can I check if i'm getting fire? The whole golf cart thing is new to me, but I am willing to learn as much as I can about this thing so I can be self sufficient when it comes to services and repairs.
Old 03-25-2018, 05:42 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Ok misread a sentence above. I thought you said you were a mechanic. My bad.

Let's go back to square one. Is the MOTOR spinning over? Or just the starter/generator?
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2018, 07:41 AM   #10
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooncarter View Post
Ok misread a sentence above. I thought you said you were a mechanic. My bad.

Let's go back to square one. Is the MOTOR spinning over? Or just the starter/generator?
Definitely not a mechanic. When I press the pedal the engine cranks, but will not turn over. I sprayed starter fluid into the carburetor and it still didn't start up. This after noon I will check for a spark. I have a guy that works for me who is a part-time mechanic. He told me to pull the plug, reconnect it to the cable, and rest it on a piece of steel. Said if there is spark it's a fuel issue. Said if there isn't a spark to start addressing the electrical components (plug, cable, etc.). I'm going to try and down load a manual today so I can see how to trouble shoot the igniter and micro switches. I went ahead and ordered a new carb and fuel pump. Got both for a little over $20. It can't hurt!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car