lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2018, 09:25 AM   #1
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Default '94 carryall lift kit

I have a 1994 Carryall that I'm installing a lift kit on. It's the Jakes kit and it says it will fit the year Carryall I have. The front went on just fine, but i'm having an issue with the rear. All of the videos show DS's which doesn't translate well to the rear of a Carryall. I'm wondering if I should take it to a shop (would involve putting it all back together) or if there is someone on here that has installed one and can walk me through the process. The shocks and rear are completely different then the directions indicate. Shocks mount directly to the frame and would need to be completely removed in order to drop the back end if that's even possible. I've seen several carryalls with lift kits, but again it may be something that needs to be done at a shop somewhere.
6eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-06-2018, 11:54 AM   #2
BearsFan315
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: '94 carryall lift kit help

Look at these, and this video, does not go into detail but he did a 6" lift on a carryall looks nice !!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Caryall Lift Rear End 01.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Caryall Lift Rear End 02.jpg (49.2 KB, 0 views)
BearsFan315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:59 PM   #3
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '94 carryall lift kit help

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsFan315 View Post
Look at these, and this video, does not go into detail but he did a 6" lift on a carryall looks nice !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84CTxPeXhYc
Thanks. His Carryall is what got me going on this project. The lift he used is a bit different. I'm going to tear into it a bit more this evening. The back end is designed different then whats listed on any of the directions I've seen. The plate that has the break cable attached is part of the frame where as most of them it's only bolted on. We'll see how it goes. There are other lifted carryall's in some of the posts on here so hopefully someone will chime in that has done this to theirs!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #4
dean.isbell
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: '94 carryall lift kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6eight View Post
I have a 1994 Carryall that I'm installing a lift kit on. It's the Jakes kit and it says it will fit the year Carryall I have. The front went on just fine, but i'm having an issue with the rear. All of the videos show DS's which doesn't translate well to the rear of a Carryall. I'm wondering if I should take it to a shop (would involve putting it all back together) or if there is someone on here that has installed one and can walk me through the process. The shocks and rear are completely different then the directions indicate. Shocks mount directly to the frame and would need to be completely removed in order to drop the back end if that's even possible. I've seen several carryalls with lift kits, but again it may be something that needs to be done at a shop somewhere.

My son and I installed the Jakes 4” Lift on a ‘92 Carryall which should be pretty similar. As far as I remember, it was simply a matter of removing the leaf springs and putting them above the axle with the supplied hardware. The lower shock mount is on the new plate that was part of the kit.

The “trick” to the job was to not fight with the leaf spring bolts. Chances are they will be corroded to the bushing sleeves and there no way to get any leverage to pound them out. Easiest to just cut them off and get new bolts and bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dean.isbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
texastbone
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have lifted plenty of these, Do you need pics or ?, I'm not following what your after. I have one at my house with a 6" lift that i took off a ds.
let me know
texastbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastbone View Post
I have lifted plenty of these, Do you need pics or ?, I'm not following what your after. I have one at my house with a 6" lift that i took off a ds.
let me know
Pictures would be awesome. The issue I'm running into is the plate the leaf springs are mounted too is part of the frame. The break lines are also attached to the plate. I removed one leaf spring and dropped the backend to put in the spacer, plate and the new ubolt. I couldn't get anything to line up enough to get the lift to work. The other issue is the shock mount. My shock has a ring at the bottom that slides over a large bolt on the frame. I'm not sure how this would attach to the plate provided on the lift.

Pictures would go a long way if you have some! I had scheduled an appointment to take it to a local shop, but if I can do it i'm all in. I also want to be sure I'm not going to do anything to hurt the engine or through off the drive belt dropping the back end.
Old 04-09-2018, 12:44 PM   #7
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean.isbell View Post
My son and I installed the Jakes 4” Lift on a ‘92 Carryall which should be pretty similar. As far as I remember, it was simply a matter of removing the leaf springs and putting them above the axle with the supplied hardware. The lower shock mount is on the new plate that was part of the kit.

The “trick” to the job was to not fight with the leaf spring bolts. Chances are they will be corroded to the bushing sleeves and there no way to get any leverage to pound them out. Easiest to just cut them off and get new bolts and bushings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Man.... I wish I would've read this before trying to get the bolts off. What a pain in the A$$! I ended up cutting them off and pounding them out with a hammer and a punch. Got some replacement bolts at Lowes and all is well. Every bolt on this thing is a pain to get off. Good thing the frame is aluminum!!
Old 04-09-2018, 01:24 PM   #8
6eight
Not Yet Wild

I have attached a diagram of the Carryall rear. This should make it easier to see what I'm talking about with the shocks and the frame of the cart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear zoom.jpg (55.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-10-2018, 06:19 AM   #9
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

The overload bumper (triangular part w/rubber bumper) isn't used with a lift.

Here's a pic of my friends 94 DS with an All Sports lift... (not much different)

008.JPG

The top U-bolt plate at the leaf spring "should" have 4 holes in it... 2 for the U-bolt, 1 for the centering pin, and 1 for the shock mount,
(His lift came with shock extensions that mount to the TOP of the shock)

For your shocks, you'll need to bend that 4th hole 90 degrees UP, and bolt the bottom of the shock to the 90 degree hole.
(the bottom of the shock should end up mounting almost directly above your old mount.)

The shock mounting bolts/hardware should be included in your kit, if not, you may have to run to the hardware store again.

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #10
6eight
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockman1 View Post
The overload bumper (triangular part w/rubber bumper) isn't used with a lift.

Here's a pic of my friends 94 DS with an All Sports lift... (not much different)

Attachment 168334

The top U-bolt plate at the leaf spring "should" have 4 holes in it, 2 for the U-bolt, 1 for the centering pin, and 1 for the shock mount,
(His AS lift came with shock extensions to mount to the TOP of the shock)

For your shocks, you'll need to bend that 4th hole 90 degrees UP, and bolt the bottom of the shock to the 90 degree hole.
(the bottom of the shock should end up mounting almost directly above your old mount.)

The shock mounting bolts/hardware should be included in your kit, if not, you may have to run to the hardware store again.

Lockman1 that's awesome. Thanks for posting that picture. This was the route I was going before I aborted my plan. I'm guessing both leaf springs need to be dropped in order to get the frame to drop that low and still line up for the screws and u bolts. I'll also plan on eliminating the rubber overload bumper. My thoughts to keep one side supported might have done me in. My kit didn't come with the bolts for the shocks, but I don't mind hitting the hardware store if I can get this to work. Thanks again!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car