lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2019, 05:26 AM   #1
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Not starting FE290

Motor pops thru carb when you slowly push the accelerator down but, will start if you slam down the pedal and seems to run fine as long as it is wide open. I have replaced the pulsar coil, removed flywheel to check key, new fuel filter, checked fuel pump, cleaned carb twice and ended up putting a new carb on. One thing I see is the carb doesn't start opening until about half travel on the accelerator pedal. Planning to straighten that out today. Oh yeah I have adjusted valves. Only thing left is maybe the cam timing but when it is running wide open it is really smooth and sounds great.
Anybody have any ideas. Its is a 99 Club Car.
oncearacer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Not starting FE290

What color is the spark? Have you done a compression test? Does the carb start to open at the same time, or before the microswitches in the black box click?
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:28 AM   #3
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

With the new coil it got really bright. Compression is 175 and the carb starts to open way after the starter comes on.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:15 AM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd start by adjusting the cables in the black box.

Turn the key off. Slowly press the pedal until the microswitches click. Use the adjustment nut on the cable and adjust it so the carb starts moving after about another 1/2" of pedal travel. This should help with not having to mash the pedal all the way down to get it to start.

If the starter is turning but the throttle is closed, it's not going to run because theres no air going in.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:17 PM   #5
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

The starter was coming on when it should. Today I adjusted the throttle so it would start opening a lot sooner and changed the fuel pump. Still have the same problem. When I press the throttle it starts and immediately shuts down, it will do this over and over BUT, I can pull out the spark plug and pour a little gas into the hole, replace the plug and it will start and run wide open as long as I hold the pedal down. It is running quite well. As soon as I let off the pedal it will quit, as it should, and when I try to restart it does the cycle thing again, and pops out the intake side of the carb.
Old 09-29-2019, 12:19 PM   #6
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

I did check and it is firing as it should during the above.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:09 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

What kind of compression does it have? Are you running the stock intake and airbox? Did it start doing this out of the blue or did you buy it like this? Do you know the history of the motor or if anyone has been inside it? I dont think cam timing would be off orbit wouldnt run at all. What did you set valve lash to?
Old 09-29-2019, 06:54 PM   #8
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

175 compression, all stock. I'm trying to fix for a friend and I think he has had it for a while. Was ok for a long time. I don't think anybody has been inside motor and I agree on the cam.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:26 PM   #9
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Is the new carb OEM mikuni or aftermarket? Does choking it help any?
Old 09-30-2019, 04:57 AM   #10
oncearacer52
Gone Wild
Club Car

Its aftermarket but, I disassembled and blew out all passages and jets and yes choking does help when its cold. After running for a bit choking doesn't help. I think its very strange that it starts and runs fine when I put gas directly into spark plug hole but not spraying starting fluid into carb.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car