lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-12-2019, 10:48 PM   #1
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Missing part?

Just tore down my motor. Ran good but smoked like a train and counterbalance weight link rods screaming making it sound like a lawnmower. But... Does anyone have the other half of my piston ring?

I cant find it inside the motor anywhere, looks like it pulled a houdini
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191012_234103.jpg (196.0 KB, 0 views)
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-12-2019, 11:09 PM   #2
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Default Re: Missing part?

I think I found it in the last dodge motor I took apart!
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Lol

Last dodge motor I saw apart the entire piston was in pieces in the bottom of the oil pan...
Old 10-13-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

I've seen carburetor butterflies do the same thing, just disappear (ingested by engine?) resulting in nothing but wide open throttle.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
Jeff McGuire
Gone Wild
Club Car

Well there is your problem. The ring gap is just a little wide!
Jeff McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
superpro56
Gone Wild
Club Car

Those 2-piece 2nd compression rings make tons of horsepower! Send it!
superpro56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Actually, motor still had 160+ psi compression, and aside from the counterbalance weight link rods making it sound more like a lawnmower than a golf cart, it actually still ran quite well. Once apart though, clearly, NOT maintained well. Entire inside of the motor case is stained with burnt motor oil and sludge that's hardened to a crisp. I cleaned it the best I could but most had to be scraped off, it was hard and crispy. Surprisingly, cylinder honed out exceptionally well. NO scoring whatsoever, nice cross hatch pattern now, and no ridge to have to ream at the top. Disassembled the head, cleaned, lapped, and set the valves. The valve seals weren't even recognizable as valve seals anymore! All back together now nice and tight with new seals and gaskets all around. I'll stop by the local dealer after I get the kids from school and pick up the crankshaft seals I forgot to order, and clearly leaked BADLY judging by the amount of nasty under the flywheel and inside the fan housing. SEriously about a solid inch thick, you can see where the fan rides inside the housing because it's cut out of the built up crap

I'll have her running again tonight, good as new. Then to rebuild my other DS engine, which is in considerably better shape than this one was. IT runs like a top, but it is burning a little bit of oil. Not enough to see any smoke (believe me, I'm always looking to try and see smoke), or drop the oil level, but enough I can smell it sometimes (especially when I back out of the garage 10 feet from a cold start and then stop, that's when you get a good whiff) so I know it's burning some. Rather take care of it now than wait until it gets worse.

So many projects, so little time. Then again, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have something to work on in the evenings
Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM   #8
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Quote:
Then again, I don't know what I'd do with myself if I didn't have something to work on in the evenings
I’m sure your wife knows...
If you’re not working on a cart, you’re working on making something else...
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car