lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 02:55 PM   #1
petska83
Not Yet Wild

Default Rxv won't move

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I'm doing this all wrong. So I have an 09 RXV and have been having issues for the last few months with it moving/not moving. If I turn the key to R-F I can hear the solenoid click but it won't move. So this doesn't happen all the time but more often than not lately. So yesterday I went to move it and it was running terrible. Very jumpy and shaky. It almost seemed like the brake was locked. I've read a lot of other forums on this site and it seems to me the brakes on these things are terrible. So I guess I have 2 issues now...the cart not moving 75% of the time and now when it does move it feels like it's going to collapse into pieces. Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any help!!
petska83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2020, 07:08 PM   #2
rngilliland
Gone Wild

Default Re: Rxv won't move

Pull the brake and accelerator pedal back as you turn the key on. Sometimes trash keeps them from returning to full up. If that doesn't help you probably need a new motor brake.

The service brake on an RXV is the motor. It does all the normal braking down to a full stop. The brake on the end of the motor is only a parking brake and emergency brake. The motor brake is either on or off, there isn't any proportional braking. When you turn the key the controller checks the motor brake and if it doesn't pass the cart won't run. My experience has been when you start getting a lot of failures to run, when you turn the key on, it's usually the brake. Replacing it is the fix. The newest Ezgo brake part number is 617766. Ebay has the best prices and only use a factory brake.

If you have the small hardwired solenoid you should replace it. I have had a large solenoid fail but it seems to be rare. The ezgo part number is 609428.

If you replace the brake. Make sure the three bolts aren't damaged or corroded.Tighten the bolts with the brake released (key in neutral, run/tow switch in tow). Only tighten the bolts to 50 inch/lbs.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
petska83
Not Yet Wild

Awesome thank you for your help. I did call an ezgo shop and he told me the same thing that it sounds like the motor brake. Of course I can't find one in a 200 mile radius of me. He did also say to steer clear of anything but OEM but finished with they're hard to get. I will check Ebay, thanks again!
Old 06-30-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
petska83
Not Yet Wild

Ok so I managed to get my hands on a motor brake. I installed it and she was up and running. 10 minutes later I jumped back on it and nothing. Again I hear the initial click in the solenoid but it won't move. Any ideas? I'm stumped and a little frustrated.....
Old 06-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #5
rngilliland
Gone Wild

The only things I can think of are things I have read about. Check the run plug under the cup holder. Make sure its not loose or making poor contact. Check your wiring for corrosion or loose connections. Make sure your batteries are good and fully charged. Make sure the green led in the charge port isn't on when the cart won't run. If it is the cart thinks the charger is plugged in and won't run.

When my solenoid failed it was similar to a brake failure. The solenoid would close and then seem to open immediately. The cart still had power but the brake wouldn't release with the tow switch.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:38 AM   #6
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I had the same symptoms as you on one of mine. I replaced my motor brake with no success. Turned out it was the solenoid. Please note that these do use a 36 volt solenoid despite being a 48 volt cart. I actually keep a new solenoid and motor brake on hand now as mine gave no warning when it went out at Disney's Fort Wilderness. I was able to find a brake at a local EZGO dealer but my wallet was $350 lighter when I left (they were nice enough to give me a used solenoid though).
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 07:12 AM   #7
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

Did you pull back on the pedals as suggested above?
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #8
Threeput
Gone Wild

I had same problem...found it was the female end of the electric plug going into the brake was not making contact...pushed the contact in the plug in more....no more problems....a way to check is to touch the harness near the plug..see if you hear it click
Threeput is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:17 PM   #9
COCRRXV
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
I had the same symptoms as you on one of mine. I replaced my motor brake with no success. Turned out it was the solenoid. Please note that these do use a 36 volt solenoid despite being a 48 volt cart. I actually keep a new solenoid and motor brake on hand now as mine gave no warning when it went out at Disney's Fort Wilderness. I was able to find a brake at a local EZGO dealer but my wallet was $350 lighter when I left (they were nice enough to give me a used solenoid though).

I'm needing to replace my solenoid as well...but the existing solenoid in the cart is the Trombetta 684-4841-012-23, and says 48V/Continuous on there. This is a used 2016 RXV, but from what I can tell, all the parts are OEM. I am skeptical to order the 36V because that is not what's in there now...It has been running fine for years and now it doesn't seem to release the motor brake. Thanks!!!!
COCRRXV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

A 2016 RXV controller should take a 48v solenoid.
usgicollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO