lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-2022, 04:09 PM   #1
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1997 TXT- Lets add some power!!!

Hey all,
I own two carts both Gas EZGO TXTs and my campground cart just got a new set of 14" W&Ts and we need to add some more power, baby!!! (If you watch Donut Media on YouTube, you get it)

I've done some mods to my old Club Car (Clutch springs, etc) and wasn't really impressed.

What should we do to do it? Ideas and links would be cool.
thanks
C.
Cmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-20-2022, 05:01 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 1997 TXT- Lets add some power!!!

Clutching aside, without major custom one-off work and time you’re not going to get any real noticeable power gains out of the stock 295. You’re better off going with a 420 clone or a v-twin like a vanguard swap. Check vegas carts website… their stuff is pricey but worth it. I bought a txt with no engine (at least not a good one worth rebuilding) a few years ago for 100 bucks. I got a lifan 420 motor, vegas carts kit and clutch, once I had everything in hand I was burning gas in the thing in about 3 hours or so. Their stuff made it super easy to do. I’ll pay the extra for the ease vs saving a few bucks and spending a lot more time fabbing the stuff myself any day b
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 09:02 PM   #3
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

I vote for a Vtwin
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:43 AM   #4
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Clutching aside, without major custom one-off work and time you’re not going to get any real noticeable power gains out of the stock 295. You’re better off going with a 420 clone or a v-twin like a vanguard swap. Check vegas carts website… their stuff is pricey but worth it. I bought a txt with no engine (at least not a good one worth rebuilding) a few years ago for 100 bucks. I got a lifan 420 motor, vegas carts kit and clutch, once I had everything in hand I was burning gas in the thing in about 3 hours or so. Their stuff made it super easy to do. I’ll pay the extra for the ease vs saving a few bucks and spending a lot more time fabbing the stuff myself any day b
Appreciate the feedback.. I'm not really looking for a full motor swap. More mods and bolt-ons.

Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2022, 09:45 AM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

No power is from the clutch belt starting to engage halfway up the drive clutch, like starting off in second or third gear.
You can buy a 1" shorter belt and that changes the low speed start off gearing, Like adding a granny gear to your carts.
You can, and I always do, remove the tension spring under the "bell" cover in the drive clutch for a smoother engaging of the clutch at take off.
No more revving the engine to get it to engage which I thought was always annoying.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmoney View Post
Appreciate the feedback.. I'm not really looking for a full motor swap. More mods and bolt-ons.

Any ideas?
Nope. There are no bolt ons. You’ve got clutching options, a 28 degree driven clutch and shorter drive belt are about all you’re gonna get. If you want to mod the motor, I’ve seen some people switching to EFI and forced induction but it’s a big process and completely custom. The 295 is probably making somewhere around 7-8hp if you’re lucky after all these years. All you can do is tune up your motor and make it run as well as it can. You can swap a 350 in, it will bolt in directly in place. But i wouldn’t say there’s going to be a significant different to justify the cost (if you can even find one).
Old 07-21-2022, 06:47 PM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

The Robin engines were not designed for performance in any capacity, they were engineered to run at low rpm, low mph, for a long long time.

With that said, old school hot rodding still applies. Port, polish, shave the head. Install a larger carb, like a motorcycle Mikuni. Open up the exhaust. These will all net you more power.....but likely not in the range that it will impress anyone. You might get 2-3 more hp. So maybe going from 8hp to 10-11hp, not night and day by any means.

If you are able to source a larger cam and bigger springs that would help, don't know if something like that is even available.

Start with a good compression and leakdown check, see where you are.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 08:58 PM   #8
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
The Robin engines were not designed for performance in any capacity, they were engineered to run at low rpm, low mph, for a long long time.

With that said, old school hot rodding still applies. Port, polish, shave the head. Install a larger carb, like a motorcycle Mikuni. Open up the exhaust. These will all net you more power.....but likely not in the range that it will impress anyone. You might get 2-3 more hp. So maybe going from 8hp to 10-11hp, not night and day by any means.

If you are able to source a larger cam and bigger springs that would help, don't know if something like that is even available.

Start with a good compression and leakdown check, see where you are.
Aside from that, the engine is 25 years old. You can’t rebuild it with oem parts anymore either. It’s worth good money you could put towards a v-twin swap if it runs good now. Along with the ignition components (ignitor and coil are long discontinued, can’t be found anywhere oem, and everyone knows the aftermarket replacements just flat out don’t work).
Old 07-22-2022, 07:59 AM   #9
trig123
Vintage tech
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Aside from that, the engine is 25 years old. You can’t rebuild it with oem parts anymore either. It’s worth good money you could put towards a v-twin swap if it runs good now. Along with the ignition components (ignitor and coil are long discontinued, can’t be found anywhere oem, and everyone knows the aftermarket replacements just flat out don’t work).
I don't know many people over the last 15 years that would pay what ezgo wanted for these ignitors and coils. That's the main reason to begin with people kept trying to get the HEI's to work. Price.

I have also found ignitors that work. Getting people to fork over $200 for one is another story . I ordered one for a friend of mine because I didn't want to sell my OEM just yet and it fired perfect. He had the cheap coil on it also. Both primary and secondary was right on the money when I checked with ohm meter.

Most people want cheap so they go to ordering cheap parts when their cart won't fire and that's where the problems starts. Most of the time there is nothing wrong with the ignitor until they cause the problem putting the $25 one on it.

There are still plenty of rebuilt kits for these engine out there. Motors and More use aftermarket rings, gaskets and seals. They work fine.

You will never convince me that these engines are done.
Now what part did I miss
trig123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:41 AM   #10
Cmoney
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash12888 View Post
No power is from the clutch belt starting to engage halfway up the drive clutch, like starting off in second or third gear.
You can buy a 1" shorter belt and that changes the low speed start off gearing, Like adding a granny gear to your carts.
You can, and I always do, remove the tension spring under the "bell" cover in the drive clutch for a smoother engaging of the clutch at take off.
No more revving the engine to get it to engage which I thought was always annoying.
Do you have a link to the shorter belt? and possible a video of the process to remove the spring?

thanks for the reply and info!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO